Chapter Twenty-Four: Family

Tonks and Tulip's cottage was surrounded by thick forest and was the only property on the north side of the lake that Harry could see, it was a simple design and reminded him of Mould-On-The-Wold Cottage but with a more creative colour scheme. It was a lonely and beautiful place. Whenever Harry was outside the tiny cottage or its garden, he could hear the constant melody of wind off the trees and the surface of the small lake.

The afternoon after they had all been rescued by Dobby nearly everyone was resting, all except for Harry, Theodore, and Allison who still had work to do. Allison had managed to snag back Tracey's purse before they escaped Malfoy Manor, which meant three out of four friends were researching what Griphook had meant by payment other than gold. It was past four when Theodore triumphantly held up his copy of A History of Magic.

'I think I found it. According to this small passage about how the 1752 Goblin Rebellion started, Goblins view all goblin-made items as their own property. More specifically they view the rightful owner of a goblin object is the maker, not the purchaser. If the maker is no longer alive then the object belongs to all goblins. Any goblin made item bought by another creature they view as rented for that creature's lifetime and should be returned upon that creature's death.'

'Alright, that's brilliant and all,' said Allison, 'but how does that help us pay Griphook. Does anyone have any goblin made items whose human owners are now dead in their possession that we didn't know about until now.'

'Ha ha, no,' said Theodore mockingly in response to her sarcasm. 'I'm certain however that we can find one...eventually.'

They sat quietly for a minute, then Harry remembered something and stood up.

'Where are you going?' asked Allison.

'You two get some rest now, I think I have this figured out. I'm going to go call in a favour.'

Harry made his way to the kitchen where he found Tonks sitting at the kitchen island preparing dinning by magic while simultaneously writing a letter by hand.

'You out of everybody should be resting,' said Harry calmly as he sat down next to her.

'This baby is keeping me awake anyway, so I might as well make food for everyone for when they wake up,' said his beloved cousin as she looked up from her letter.

'Thank you for everything, by the way. I know right now you probably want to focus on preparing for you and Tulip's baby.'

'We spent the last seven months preparing, we're already as ready as we're going to be. Harry, don't ever worry about coming to me for help, I will always be there for you if you need me.'

This managed to get a small smile out of him, probably his very first since the last Potterwatch broadcast.

'Who are you writing?'

'My mum, despite everything that has just happened I still received an owl from her just now asking if she could still come over tonight for an Easter supper. As much as I wish I could see her right now I think for today we all just need to rest and heal,' she paused, then sighed. 'I think in reality she wants to see me as much as possible because she really is missing dad...'

Harry's face drooped, and some tears welled up in Tonks' eyes.

'I'm really sorry about your dad. I was heartbroken when I heard on Potterwatch.'

'I miss him dreadfully, but your friend Dean's arrival has brought me comfort. He told me that when the Snatchers found all of them it was Dirk Cresswell and my father who fended them off to give Dean and the goblins time to escape, although the other goblin didn't make it. My dad died a hero, even though Dean and Griphook got captured a few days later, he bought them enough time to have run into you guys which led to their freedom.'