Sweet Child O' Mine (.2)

TW for this chapter: TW for emotional and verbal abuse

-

After wasting some time at the drugstore, Tessa finally started heading back home. When she got back inside, she realised that no one was home.

Tessa sighed as she moved to put the milk in the fright

As she closed the door, she spotted the numbers on the back of her hand. How long had it been since someone had given Tessa their number? It was definitely the first time she had been given someone else's number.

"Is it too soon to call? It had been like an hour, right? Are you supposed to wait for them to call?" Tessa mused to herself with a frown.

Tessa thought about it for another couple of seconds. Then she remembered back to what she had said to Marty. You just gotta put yourself out there.

Tessa moved over to the phone and punched in the number. A girl whose voice Tessa didn't recognise answered.

"Who is it?" A feminine voice answered.

"Oh, hi, is this Marty's house?" Tessa asked as she fiddled with the phone wire.

"Yeah, who are you?"

"My name's Tessa Thomson. Is Marty there?"

"He's busy."

"Well, could you let him know that I called?"

"Sure, whatever."

Before Tessa could thank the girl, she hung up. When did Tessa's hands get so sweaty?

Tessa let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She started aimlessly pacing around the apartment.

At some point, she walked by the coffee table and noticed an opened photo album. Tessa kneeled down and started flipping through the pages. One of the pictures caught her eye. It was a polaroid of her and her mother standing on Santa Monica beach. It was the only time she had ever left Hill Valley. Tessa pulled it out of the sleeve to take a closer look.

Suddenly, there was a click at the door, and Tessa's mother walked in with her arms filled with grocery bags. Tessa tucked the picture into her pocket and walked over to her mother to help with the bags.

"Hey, baby girl." Tessa didn't like the way she said that. She was trying too hard to sound casual.

Tessa absent-mindedly slipped the picture into her pocket and moved to help her mother pack away the food. Talking idly as they did so.

"Why the sudden shopping trip?" Tessa asked as she put the sugar in the cupboard.

Eileen smiled. "Decided I wanted to make something special for your birthday."

Tessa blushed. "You don't have to do that, mom."

"But I want to," Eileen gave a fake cry.

Tessa laughed at her mother's bad acting. It's not that Tessa hated birthdays. She just didn't see the point in them for the last couple of years. Eileen, on the other hand, loved birthdays. Any excuse to doctorate a room and bake something Tessa knew.

"So what kind-" Tessa started to ask but stopped at the sound of the door unlocking.

A tall dark-haired man walked through. He had an annoyed look on his face as he tossed a briefcase on the couch.

"Hello, James," Eileen greeted her husband. He simply grunted in acknowledgement. He went straight to the bedroom without another word.

"Yeah, don't offer to help or anything," Tessa muttered.