Dinner with Destiny

Elysia's heart raced as she approached the door, her mind filled with a mixture of fear and uncertainty. She hesitated for a moment, her hand trembling as she reached out to grasp the handle.

With a deep breath, she pushed the door open, her eyes widening in surprise as she found the same maid waiting for her on the other side. The girl's cheeks were adorned with delicate fish scales, her eyes wide with anticipation as she delivered her message.

"Come downstairs for dinner," she said, her voice soft yet commanding. "The king awaits your presence."

Elysia's stomach churned at the mention of dinner, her appetite long forgotten amidst the chaos of her surroundings. She opened her mouth to protest, but the maid's words stopped her short.
"If you do not come willingly," she continued, her tone taking on a note of warning, "the king will come for you himself."

With a resigned sigh, Elysia nodded, her fear outweighed by the knowledge that she had no other choice. She followed the maid down the winding staircase, her footsteps echoing through the empty halls.

As Elysia descended the grand staircase, her footsteps echoing through the empty halls, she couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension that gnawed at her insides. The maid led her with silent determination, her expression betraying nothing of the tumultuous emotions swirling within her.

Upon entering the opulent dining hall, Elysia's eyes widened in awe at the sight before her. The room was bathed in the warm glow of candlelight, casting dancing shadows upon the polished marble floors. A long table stretched out before her, adorned with elegant silverware and crystal goblets, a feast fit for royalty.

At the head of the table sat the king himself, his regal presence commanding the attention of all who dared to gaze upon him. His dark eyes gleamed with an otherworldly intensity as they locked onto Elysia, sending a shiver down her spine.

Surrounding the room stood the king's guards, their imposing figures casting long shadows against the walls. Their eyes followed her every move, their expressions unreadable as they stood sentinel over their master.

As Elysia took her seat at the opposite end of the table, she couldn't help but feel a sense of unease wash over her. The air was thick with tension, each moment pregnant with the weight of unspoken words.

To her surprise, the king gestured towards her with a flick of his finger, and in an instant, she found herself seated beside him. Shock and disbelief washed over her as she stared at him in astonishment, her mind racing to comprehend the extent of his power.

"You can't just use your powers like that," she muttered under her breath, her voice tinged with defiance. Making all the guard and maids there widen their eyes in shock as no one dares to speak to the King in that tone and live. But to their surprise The King did nothing but smiled at her words, his amusement evident in the glint of his eyes.
"Of course, I can, my dear," he replied, his voice smooth as silk. "They are my powers, after all."

Elysia rolled her eyes at his response, frustration bubbling within her as she struggled to maintain her composure.
She knew she was treading on dangerous ground, but she refused to let fear dictate her actions.

As the meal progressed, Elysia found herself lost in thought, her mind spinning with questions and uncertainty.

What did the king want from her?

She knew what she had promised him then why isn't he killing her?

And why had he spared her life when so many others had fallen at his feet?

But even as fear threatened to consume her, she remained steadfast in her resolve. She had come here to save her brother, and she would not let anything stand in her way.

With a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and met the king's gaze head-on, her voice steady despite the turmoil raging within her.
"I know why you brought me here," she said, her words echoing through the hall with a strength that belied her trembling hands. "But I will not be your pawn. My brother's life is not yours to toy with."

The king regarded her with a cold, calculating gaze, his lips curling into a sinister smile. "Ah, but my dear," he replied, his voice dripping with malice. "In this game, we are all pawns. And your brother's fate rests in my hands alone."

Elysia felt a surge of panic rise within her at his words, the weight of her brother's life bearing down on her like a heavy burden. But even as fear threatened to overwhelm her, she refused to give up hope.

"I will do whatever it takes to save him," she vowed, her voice ringing out with determination. "Even if it means defying you at every turn."

The king's smile widened at her words, his eyes gleaming with amusement. "Defiance suits you, my dear," he said, his tone filled with mock admiration.
"But remember this—you may think you hold the power, but in the end, it is I who pulls the strings."

As the meal progressed, Elysia's fear began to morph into determination.
She needed to understand more about the king and his powers if she had any hope of saving her brother.
Gathering her courage, she decided to probe the king with a question.

"What do you want with me, Thornvald?" she asked, her voice steady despite the tension that gripped her.

The king looked at her, his eyes glittering with interest.
"You intrigue me, Elysia. Your courage... that's a rare quality in this realm."

"But what does that have to do with my brother? He's innocent. Why involve him in this?"

Thornvald leaned back, his gaze piercing. "Innocence is a fleeting concept, my dear. Power, on the other hand, is eternal. Your brother is a pawn, a means to an end. Just like you."

Elysia's heart clenched at his words, but she refused to show her fear.
"And what end is that?"

The king's smile widened, but he offered no answer.
Instead, he turned his attention back to his meal, effectively ending the conversation.

The rest of the dinner passed in a tense silence.

With a flick of his wrist, the king motioned for the guards to escort Elysia from the hall back to her room as they have already finished their dinner, his eyes never leaving hers as she was led away.

As she was ushered back into the darkness of the palace corridors, Elysia felt a sense of despair wash over her like a tidal wave. She may have gained a temporary reprieve for her brother, but she knew that the king's threats were not to be taken lightly.

But even as fear threatened to consume her, she clung to the flicker of hope burning bright in her heart—a determination to save her brother, no matter the cost. And with that resolve guiding her, she vowed to never stop fighting until he was safe once more.

                           *:..。o○ ○o。..:*