Chapter Twenty-One

a/n: It's midnight for me, which means a new day for a new chapter, and there's actually a reason for me to post this early. It's swiftlyinlove 's birthday today and, well, if this story is my baby, then she's definitely the midwife who helped me bring it to life!
I wouldn't have finished this without your support and encouragement, so this chap is all yours! Happy to call you my friend and forever thankful that both of us panic buying tickets for the eras tour, and then looking for someone to go with brought us together.

Have The Best Day today, Birthday Gurk! <3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter Twenty-One
- Sacred new beginnings -
December 14th, 2022

"May?"
I flinch and turn to see Aoife standing in the door frame, nervously scratching her wrist and avoiding any eye contact. She must've come downstairs on her tiptoes, because I didn't even realize she's been standing there until now.

Dropping my book, I sit up and make room for her, should she decide to join me on the couch. "What is it?"
"I'm sorry."
"About what?"
"Don't do that. You know exactly what I'm talking about."
"I have a pretty good guess, but I'd like to hear it."
"Oh, fuck off," she grumbles with the biggest eye roll, and I have to admit, I probably deserve it. I'd be just as annoyed if someone tried to force me to explain myself after I built up the courage to apologize. Still, I can't leave it alone.

"I'm just wondering if you're sorry you skipped school or about what you said."
"Kind of both?"
"Good, because you should be. Now, what's the plan?"
"The plan?"
She finally makes her way over and takes the spot next to me, a questioning expression on her face.
"Yeah, your plan. What are you going to tell dad?"
"You're actually making me do this, aren't you?"
I nod and point my index finger at her. "Yep. See, you made a decision this morning, and now it's on you to face the consequences. I promise, if you're honest about it, he'll be much more understanding. You might even get away without any punishment."
"You sure about that?" She looks at me, obviously not convinced.
"Of course. Do you think I never did something stupid? Whenever I was caught lying, things got way worse, so I know for a fact it'll be alright if you just come clean."
"Will you come with me?"
"Hell no. I can take you home, but everything else is on you. You can call, though, if you need to talk afterwards."

In the end, I do wait in the car outside Dad's house until Aoife texts to let me know he's mad but wasn't too harsh on her, then I head home to take a nap. The lack of sleep I've been getting is starting to get tome.

Startled, I slowly wake up from a deep slumber when the sound of my ringing phone cuts through the room. Confused and a little lost, I rub my eyes in an attempt to chase away the sleepiness before groggily fumbling for the device. Once I finally get a hold of it, I answer the call with a yawn, still unable to shake off the remnants of my unplanned afternoon nap for good.
"Hmm?"
"Hey Ireland."

Her voice is low, soft, and quiet, almost insecure even, but I would always recognize it amongst a thousand others. Having Allie talk to me again this unexpectedly kind of throws me off, and I feel a hint of bitterness building up.
"Well, hello, Stranger," I mumble slowly, not without wincing at the horrific nickname she fancies so much.
"Ouch."
I hasten to backtrack from my snide greeting. "I'm sorry. Hi, Al."
"Guess I deserved that, huh? You know, for not answering and stuff."
"You mean for abandoning me?"
"Okay, now it's getting a bit ruthless."

I fall silent for a while, trying to think of an answer that won't come off as rude, but to my own surprise, I'm honestly struggling with that. "I've been asleep, so that might be why," I finally explain, but I know there's no way she'll buy it.
"I woke you up again? Some things just never change, do they?"
She giggles, and I can tell how much she's forcing that lighthearted mood.