Chapter Thirty-Three

- 'Cause all I know is we said, "Hello"
And your eyes look like comin' home -
April 8th,2023

Waking up to an empty hotel bed in an unknown city is something I have gotten used to over the years, but when I open my eyes to bright sunlight piercing through the blinds, I can't help but regret that I didn't stay with Taylor.

After talking and getting comfortable with actually being around each other until early morning, I could tell she was getting tired, so I gathered my things and, after presenting her with my sweater, decided to go back to my own lodging, so both of us could have some time and space to catch up on sleep and process everything that has happened in peace.
Also, she had to get up and out early anyway, since she's in town to shoot a new music video. Something she only revealed after I swore secrecy.

While I'm having a late breakfast in my room, her words still echo through my mind.
"You could just spend the night, you know?"
I still don't know if I made the right call when I insisted I should leave. It's not like I didn't want to stay with her, but at the same time, I feel like I truly needed to be alone for a while. Now I'm already missing her touch terribly and can't wait to go back tonight for dinner.
Lost in my thoughts, I finish my meal, grateful for the hotel's room service. I contemplate what to do with my day, knowing I have plenty of time before Taylor will be done with her taping, and end up deciding I'll venture out to explore the streets of Liverpool.

Between getting ready and choosing an outfit for the day, I check my phone, which I've successfully ignored since showing up at Taylor's last night, and of course I'm met with a bunch of texts. Going through them, I save the best—alas, hers—for last.

Niamh: 'it's been hours now. hours!!!
I expect you to report back ASAP.
what's she like? what did you guys
do?'

Niamh: 'no wait! I don't think I
wanna know. but is she anything like
you imagined she would be?'

Niamh: 'máire, I swear to god if I
don't hear back from you soon I'll
have someone check on you. please
let me know you're still alive!'

Reading these has me laughing the whole time. Niamh knows how to be dramatic, but the excitement in her texts warms my heart. I love how invested she is on my behalf. I'm still fully convinced she'd send the police after me just to make sure I'm okay, so I dial her up. When I only get to her mailbox I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed. I would have loved to talk to her about Allie and how beautiful and intense our meet-up went, how my heart skipped every time our eyes met, and all about the way each of her touches sent shivers down my spine, but at the same time, I just know Niamh would've kept pressing, and I really don't want to lie to her. I'd do that instantly, though, if that meant keeping Taylor safe.

The two of us haven't really discussed that topic yet, so I'm not sure if or what will be fine with her for me to share. The fact she's not out to the world is a big hint, after all, and I'm smart enough to keep to myself for the time being.
I end up leaving my sister a short message about how things are going great and that 'Allie' is just perfect in every possible way before hanging up.

A little less enthusiastic, I open Sean's chat, scared of what to expect. Having to leave him alone was the downside of making this trip.

Sean B: 'Thx for letting me know.
Hope you'll have an amazing weekend.
If you need to make an emergency exit,
hit me up and I'll get you.
Just in case she's ugly, yk.'