7

HRIDHAN 

AGE : TEN

"Ma!" I burst into the house, calling out for her.

There was no response, and a sense of unease settled over me. I quickly scanned the hall, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Amma," I called out again, desperation creeping into my voice.

"Ethuku da kathitae vara ?" My grandmother held my hand and embraced me, her presence ignited my irritation more. I couldn't shake the feeling of dread as I continued to search for my mother.

"Amma enga patti ?" I asked urgently, my heart racing with worry.

"Samachutu iruppa," she replied calmly, trying to reassure me.

"Na poi pathutu varen," I attempted to run past her, but she held onto my hand firmly.

"Nee kitchen ku ellam poga koodathu," she stated firmly, her gaze stern.

I longed to rush into my mother's embrace. I wanted to show her my rank card, to share my achievements with her. I had improved my score in English since the last time, and I knew she would be so proud.

"Poi refresh ayitu va.. snack eduthutu vara soldren," my grandmother instructed in a stern tone, but I nodded slowly, my mind preoccupied with thoughts of my mother.

Dragging my bag behind me, I placed it on the chair where I always left it and glanced around the room expectantly, even though I knew my mother wasn't there. Disappointed, I reluctantly refreshed myself and made my way to the hall.

I couldn't contain my excitement when I saw my mother serving tea and biscuits to my grandma. I ran towards her and hugged her legs tightly.

"Amma.. amma.. innaiku rank card kooduthanga," I exclaimed, eager to share my achievement with her.

Her hand tenderly caressed my back, and I felt her warmth enveloping me as she turned towards me, offering a weak smile.

"Na vanthu pakuren da chellam," she said softly, her voice filled with warmth.

"Amma ippo vanga.. na eduthu katren," I pleaded, trying to pull her along with me.

"Illa chellam.. amma night ku cook pannitu vanthu pakuren. Nee poi homework pannu," she replied gently, taking the empty glass and plates with her to the kitchen.

I watched her retreating figure, feeling a pang of disappointment. I returned to my room and sat on the bed, waiting anxiously. Glancing at the clock and the door repeatedly, I even took out the rank card, ready to show it to her as soon as she entered.

As the hours passed and it neared nine, I decided to check on her. I jumped off the bed and placed the card on it. Just as I was about to take a step, I saw my mother entering the room.

"Amma.." I rushed to hug her legs. She knelt before me, meeting my gaze with a tender expression. Slowly, she caressed my hair and touched my cheeks. But as her hand made contact, I noticed that it was burning.

"Amma," I touched her forehead, feeling the heat radiating from it.

"Enna, Hridhan ?" she asked weakly, managing a small smile.

"Ungaluku fever adikuthu," I replied, checking her neck and hands. Her whole body felt hot to the touch.

"Athu seri ayidum chellam.. nee va sapda polam," she insisted, trying to reassure me.

"Nenga rest edunga ma," I insisted, concern evident in my voice as I looked at her weakened state.

"Illa, Hridhan appa ku patti ellam sapadu vekkanu la ?"

"Na vekuren.. neenga thoongu nga," I assured her, noticing her slightly reddened eyes.

"Illa kanna.. paravala amma pathukuren nee va saptu vanthurulam," she said, gently taking my hands in hers and leading me out of the room.

I sat at the dining table beside my father, my appetite nonexistent as I watched my mother longingly. She wouldn't eat until we had finished, so I hurried to complete my meal, hoping she could eat soon after.

"Enna di ithu ?" my father's voice rang out, breaking the tense silence.

"Uppu illa onnu illa... ippidi tan samaika kathu kooduthangala un veetla ?" he barked at my mother, his anger palpable.

"Illanga... ennaku fever irukka nala taste theriyala nga.. ippo poturen," she whispered, adding salt to the sambar.

"Enna vechalum sapdu venu nenachiya ?" he roared, angrily throwing the plate away, and I flinched at the sudden outburst. Closing my eyes, I glanced at my father, his face consumed by rage.

He abruptly stood up and grabbed my mother's wrist, forcefully dragging her into the room. I immediately jumped down from my chair and ran after my mother, calling out to her.

"Ammaaa..." I screamed as the door slammed shut before my face.

I pounded on the door relentlessly until my grandmother intervened, pulling me away from there.

❤️‍🔥

AGE : THIRTY ONE  ( Present )

The incidents are still before my eyes as I looked arna sleeping peacefully. I wish my wife never gets my mother's life.

I couldn't shake the feeling that she wasn't comfortable in sarees. I had noticed her disturbed sleep, which prompted me to buy her some comfy clothes. I was waiting for her to open up to me, to express her feelings.

I longed for her to open up to me, to share her feelings without reservation. I wanted her to feel safe and secure, not constrained by fear as my mother often was.

I knelt beside the bed, as I did every day, watching her sleeping peacefully.

"Take a break, arna ma. Unaku athu konjam theva paduthu" I whispered softly looking at her small flawless face.

Having a habit of speaking to her every night after she drifted off to sleep became as ingrained in my routine as writing a diary. It was a ritual I never missed, a moment of connection that felt as essential as breathing.

A swell of pride washed over me today as arna shared the news of completing her bachelor's degree. Her smile, radiant and enchanting, illuminated the room with a warmth that filled my heart with joy.

I felt myself in her. The ten years old myself. The same excitement. The same achievement.

"Ennaku romba kastama irunthuchu to see you sleeping uncomfortable... but ennala onnu panna mudiyala. Oru peaceful aana sleep kooda unaku ennala thara mudiyala... I am really so sorry arna"

As I uttered those words, her face twitched slightly, a subtle reaction that didn't escape my notice. It was a fleeting expression, but it spoke volumes, revealing the emotions stirring within her.

I continued to gaze at her, my heart heavy with the weight of unspoken words and unanswered questions. The memories of our first night together flooded my mind. 

I couldn't shake the haunting image of the fear in her eyes, the vulnerability that she couldn't hide even in the darkness of the night

I remembered the ache I felt as I watched her struggle to sleep, the helplessness that gnawed at me knowing I couldn't alleviate her discomfort.

But today it's different. As I watched her serene face.

"Veliya polama nalaiku ? ana... Na koopta varuviya ?" 

————

Next chapter ennanu unga nala guess panna mudiyathu 🤪 ( Ps : only them 😌♥️ ) 

Clue tharen : first line 😂👇🏻

"Fabulous," the word slipped out of my mouth without much thought.

Enna nu guess panni veinga 🤭🏃🏻‍♀️

Nalaiku morning 6 ku update okay va 👀