42

ARNA

"Pathurama iru," he said, his voice gentle but firm.

I nodded.

Hridhan's father had fallen seriously ill, and now, we were heading back to what felt like a prison to me. It wasn't just a visit; it was an obligation.

Hridhan and Abhijay couldn't get time off from their demanding jobs, so our mother-in-law insisted that Nithya and I stay with her to help out.

As soon as we stepped into the house, a wave of irritation washed over me. The walls seemed to close in, the atmosphere stifling.

My phone, my lifeline to the outside world, was now off-limits. I couldn't be myself here. I had to abandon all my independence and power, adopting the role of a submissive daughter-in-law.

Hridhan stood there, helpless against his mother's demands. He couldn't challenge her, and I couldn't blame him. The weight of family expectations bore down on both of us.

When I can't go against my mother. How can he ? 

Situations bore on people despite of the gender and everything. 

I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly. His familiar scent filled my lungs, bringing a fleeting sense of comfort. I knew I would miss him terribly. He gently caressed my back, his touch a silent promise of support.

"Na seekram leave kedacha udanae vanthuren," he murmured, his voice a soothing balm to my frayed nerves. I nodded, trying to draw strength from his words.

I held onto him a little longer, trying to imprint the feeling of his embrace in my memory. The days ahead would be challenging, but knowing he was there for me, even from a distance, gave me a sliver of hope.

As we pulled apart, I looked into his eyes, finding a reflection of my own emotions. After that, Hridhan and Abhijay left for the city in Abhi's car while Nithya and I got back to the usual chores.

We arrived in the evening, so our first task was to cook dinner. Despite my mother-in-law's claims, Hridhan's father didn't seem that sick. He had a slight fever, nothing more.

I couldn't understand why my mother-in-law had blown this out of proportion. It's not that I minded helping them, but the strict rules and oppressive atmosphere grated on my nerves.

Later that night, after we finished our dinner, Nithya and I retreated to our rooms. The emptiness of the room hit me as soon as I walked in. I sat on the bed, staring out at the night sky.

The skies always remind me of him. I didn't want to fall in love with Hridhan, but resisting was futile. Denying it wouldn't change the truth.

I love him.

The other side of the bed, where Hridhan used to sit, was vacant. I could still picture him leaning against the bedrest, eyes closed, listening intently as I spoke. His presence had a way of making everything feel right.

I lay down, but sleep was elusive. I twisted and turned, the bed feeling too vast and empty. My gaze wandered to the floor where he used to sleep, wrapped in his blue blankets.

Blue blankets.

I got up and walked to the cupboard, pulling out his blue blanket. Wrapping it around me, I felt a semblance of his warmth. The fabric smelled faintly of him, a mix of comfort and longing.

Finally, I fell asleep late into the night. Thankfully, I had set an alarm for four o'clock, so I wouldn't have to endure my mother-in-law's scoldings.