The Final Goodbye

The dawn came all-too-soon.  The sun began to peek through the Paris clouds as you slowly opened your eyes.  You'd fallen asleep in each other's arms after the extended lovemaking session last night.  You looked up at Freddie and saw he was already awake, watching you sleep.  He smiled softly and kissed you tenderly on your forehead.  You regretfully extricated yourselves from each other's arms, as you had a plane to catch back to London.  Back to reality.  If only you could stay here forever, just like this...

Neither of you spoke on the cab ride to the airport.  Neither of you knew what to say, really.   You rested your head on his shoulder, full of unspoken words.  Even on the short flight, you kept your conversation to a minimum.  You both knew it was over, and there was nothing  more to say.  You'd said everything you needed to say last night.   Freddie was sleepy and he laid his head on your lap while you ran your fingers through his silky hair.  You looked down at his sweet sleeping face and gently caressed his cheek, smiling as you felt the rough stubble.  God, you loved him...Why did everything have to be so fucked up?  Why did Roger have to come between you?  But it was what it was...

Freddie's driver met you at  Heathrow, but Freddie had arranged for a cab to take you back to your place.  This was it.  This was the final goodbye.  Here, amongst thousands of strangers hurrying to and fro, you would bid farewell to your love.

You looked up into Freddie's eyes, those incredibly beautiful eyes, one last time.  Your mouth opened, and you started to speak.

"Freddie," you said shakily, "I..."

He put his finger to your lips.  "Don't speak," he whispered softly.  He knew what you wanted to say, because he wanted to say the same thing.  Both your eyes said it all--no words were necessary.  You clung to each other in desperation on the curb.  He kissed you one last time, and then opened the cab door for you and you slipped inside.  You didn't look at him.  You simply couldn't, not if you were to maintain any kind of composure.

The cab pulled away, and you turned around, looking out the back window.  You saw Freddie standing there, watching as you drove away.  And then you just lost it.  The tears just came pouring from your eyes like a river.  You  watched each other until you both disappeared from view.

"Are you ok, miss?"  the cab driver asked.

You nodded yes through your sobs,  but the fact was you weren't ok.  You would never be ok again.