Chapter 4: Focus

4pm, back home.

I arrive home, immediately being greeted by Whiskers, "hello sweet face" I smile, bending down to pick her up. I make my way to my room and lay back down in my bed. My cat settles by my feet and I sigh.

What a day. The first day of my final year.

There's about an hour before I have to go to work. The only way to keep affording this house is to work two jobs, which I do. The first one is a waitress job at a decent restaurant in the area and the second is a small convenience store. It's as exhausting as you can imagine but I have no choice, I can't leave this place. It holds too many precious memories.

"Daddy, daddy please don't let go!" I scream as I roll through the sidewalk on my bicycle.

"I've got you Jadey, hold on tight" he laughs while supporting my back.

We spent about half an hour playing together before my mom had called out, "okay that's enough you two, time for dinner"

My dad helps me off then I run towards her embrace, my smile wide from one ear to another.

"Dinner! Thank you mommy!" I hug her tightly and she giggles, "you're welcome baby."

I smile and feel a tear dripping down my cheek. I quickly wipe it and sniffle. It gets lonely I won't lie. Sometimes I'm grateful for work and school because they keep me distracted, but it's moments like these where I'm stuck with my own thoughts and it kills me.

I'm so scared of loneliness.

Ever since the accident, I've left things exactly as they are. My dad's blanket on the sofa, my mom's apron hanging on the fridge. I make sure to keep the family photos clean and their memory alive. However, I have not been able to enter their bedroom. Every time I try to open the door, I develop a panic attack. So I've yet to overcome this hurdle.

Avery and I planned to go to the cemetery this weekend. Me to visit my parents and her to visit her brother. We were able to strengthen our bond through our shared experiences and emotions. If I haven't said it enough, I'm very grateful for Avery. She's always checking on me, her mom makes me food sometimes so I don't have to spend too much on food or groceries. Her dad visits to fix any plumbing, electricity or car issues. They've even offered for me to live with them. The thought of living with Avery excited us both, but like I said, I just can't let this place go.

I check the time and I had about 30 minutes until my shift at the restaurant started. I get up and look down. I was still wearing the blazer that Ms. Sierra had given me. I sigh taking it off and setting it on my chair. As much as I want to keep it, I'll have to wash it then give it to her.

I was still hung up on our detention conversation. Was it really stupid of me to assume that there was something there between us? I mean sure we don't even know each other and we were slightly under the influence, but I'm confident that she has the same strange, tingly feeling I have about her. I know it.

Regardless I snap back to reality and start to dress for work. I put on my white button up and a pair of black pants. i throughly brush my hair and tie it back into a mid-ponytail. I then make my way to the kitchen, Whiskers closely following behind. She knows it's lunch time so I pour her a portion of cat food that should last her until I get back, "don't do anything stupid" I say while giving her a pet and she returns soft purrs.

I grab my keys and bag then head out to my car. I get in and put some radio music while I drive. Finally, I get to the restaurant and I park in the employee spot then get inside. It seems packed already, which means rush hour is in motion.