26.It's Not Real

Biloxi, Mississippi

My leg bounced against the fluffy white carpet, the computer nestled into my lap. I needed to do research, but every minute or two I could hear noises coming from one of the bedrooms down the hallway. My mind kept repeating that it's not real, like a broken record...but what if it is? What if that witch or some other creature followed me? I'm a sitting duck with no weapon. The darkness that enveloped the windows did my paranoia no favors.

I slid the laptop off of me, setting it on the cushion beside me. My heart was hammering in my chest as another sound of movement hit my ears. It sounded like something heavy being dragged or scooted across the floor.

I ran my hand through my hair. It's not real. It's not real. My eyes were locked on the dim hallway, expecting something to jump out of one of the open doors. Just go look, show yourself it's not real.

Slowly I lifted myself from the couch as my stomach twisted in nauseating knots. My body slightly flinched as a loud thud echoed through the house. It's not real, my mind repeated as I tip-toed towards the hall past the stairs.

I held Silas' jacket close to me as I crept closer to the room where the noises were originating from. The hardwood floor felt like ice under my toes. My breath had turned shallow and uneven. My eyes scanned every inch of the first bedroom and it was clear. Every small step I took made the alarm bells in my head ring louder. An alarm screeching at me to run.

The second bedroom and bathroom beside it were also empty, slightly easing the knot in my chest. My vision fell on the last bedroom in the hall-the bedroom the noises sounded like they were coming from. On my toes I crept across the hall towards it.

Peeking my head in the room that was identical to the other two-A queen sized mattress rested in the middle of the room, wooden nightstands on either side of the bed, and beach themed decor hung on the walls. I blew out a breath of relief-that it wasn't real.

My eyes narrowed in on the three bulbs that hung from the ceiling fan as they flickered. I turned to go back down the hallway and my eyes widened. Air caught in my throat as a scourge cocked its staticy head to the side. It's glowy red eyes staring into my very soul. A crimson liquid dripped from its talons onto the wood below. Every hair on my body raised, eyeing the monster that killed my parents.

I bolted into the third bedroom, slamming the door behind me. My breathing was sharp and fast as I backed away from the door. Terror coursed through me as I didn't have anything that could spark a fire nor did I have a blessed silver blade.

I jumped as my back collided with the wall. I stared at the door, my entire body trembling. I couldn't fight it, nor did I have the necklace any longer. I squeezed my eyes shut as the lights flickered again. "No... no," I whispered, acidic memories of what happened to my parents flashing behind my eyelids. I ripped my eyes open, not wanting to see their bodies any longer.

My phone-I have to call Silas. I patted the thin pockets of Silas' jacket, a frown forming on my lips. Shit, it's in the living room. My mind raced, as I scanned the room for anything useful.

The bed-I could hide under the bed.

No you moron, it would be able to sense you.

I grabbed onto the metal frame at the foot of the bed, cautiously tip-toeing towards the door. My grip on the metal tightened as the lights completely cut off. I reined in my cry, holding onto the frame for dear life.

As the lights flashed back on, I twisted behind me. My body felt paralyzed as my eyes took in the figure dressed in billowy black robes. Its bloody talon armed hand raised in the air. My arms covered my head as the creature slashed its talons down at me, expecting to feel the sting of those wickedly sharp edges.