Spider Love

Your new black mirror reflected your face as you stared at the screen. You also saw your spider suit, inky with the night without much contrast. Unlike your phone, it wasn't new, and the memories with this particular cut started way before you came to this Earth. You flexed your fingers with your other hand and stowed away your phone in your suit pockets.

A long yawn escaped your mouth, abruptly cut short by a tingling sensation at the back of your neck. Your instincts screamed a warning, and you knew a strike was imminent. Reacting with lightning speed, you leaped forward, slipping into your mask just as the threat landed a few feet behind you.

Cindy Moon was in her superhero outfit—the only outfit you've ever seen her wear whenever she was heroing around New York. The way her almond eyes squinted as they regarded you told you she was probably smiling. You exhale; the throbbing in your heart didn't settle as you saw Silk.

  "Did you hear me gliding in?" She giggled, her eyes darting around you for examination.

  "Felt it," you said. Admiring, Silk brushed back her long black hair. "Were you going to hit me? I've never had you trigger my spider sense before."

Silk winked at you playfully as she pulled her mask under her chin. "Who knows what I was planning to do? Maybe you should have let me strike you," she said teasingly.

Unfamiliar with Cindy Moon as a steady partner, you weren't sure if it was wise to flirt back or to react indifferently. She observed you as your mind tangled with itself. Finally, you guffaw and shrug with a dramatic motion. "I don't know how you want me to react."

She bounces over with a giggle and pulls off your mask. Without the tint of your lenses, you can freely explore her features without anything taking away from her. As usual, you find the face looking at you attractive. You feel your cheeks warm up as she leaned in to kiss you. The soft peck is brief but lingers on your skin long after she pulls away.

Your staring softens, and your heart finally subsides. You looked away, trying to get your attention brought back to doing all the spider stuff you were supposed to be doing. The rooftop was the tallest around, but it still gave you a generous overlook of New York, the city that never sleeps no matter where you are. Cindy purrs as she rubs her shoulder with yours. "You don't want to hang out for a little bit? Is it just straight to business tonight?"

  "Just business tonight," you told her. "I'd rather spend time with Cindy Moon than Silk. No offense."

A long and overly dramatic groan leaves Silk as she loses her straight posture. "What about Silk and the Midnight Spider? Wouldn't it be cute for people to see them do cringy couple things while patrolling?" She wrapped her arm around your shoulders and pointed up.

  "Imagine the headlines," she cleared her throat. "CAN ALL SPIDERS REALLY LOVE?"

  "Spider-love, as scientists call it, seems to affect hormones and effectiveness in superhero patrols," you told her, prompting her to produce stifled laughter. "A rare but not completely unheard-of phenomenon affects all the spider-people whenever they find a partner suitable for long-term pairing."

  "Long-term pairing," she places her hands on her hips and shakes her head while controlling her giggle. "Fiiiine. We should patrol around, I suppose. Where do you want to go?"

You've never been so familiar yet so uncomfortable in New York. Being tasked with deciding which part of New York needed your undivided attention. You glanced at Silk and scoffed. Undivided attention was going to happen tonight. It would have been impressive if you could go more than two blocks without wanting to talk to her. Harlem? The Financial District? How about Chinatown or Greenwich?