01. "fly away"

chapter one
"FLY AWAY"

chapter one "FLY AWAY"

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

BLAIRE COULD RECALL the last time she ever slept feeling safe.

The memory was still alive in the teenager's mind. The night before the outbreak would take over the world completely and change life in the most unexpected ways, she still remembers every last detail about her family getting ready for sleep that same evening. She hasn't forgotten the way she stood in bed, waiting for her mother to finish her chores and tuck the two siblings in bed. She recalls hearing the faint sounds the television was producing from across the room as her father came back from a tiring day at work and just wanted to relax before doing it all over again.

What Blaire truly remembers from that night is the feeling of comfort she desperately needed now that her family wasn't here anymore. Everything about that memory seemed so perfect, every flaw or mistake that might have happened was erased by the girl's consciousness so she could remember the last good day she had.

Nobody could have foreseen that the two girls would awaken the following morning to the sounds of screams outside, the sound of pure terror as humans and animals were screaming for their lives just outside of the Sheilds Residence. Jane was only 8 years old when she awoke that day, scared and confused. Just like any other kid, her first instinct was to reach for her mother, who wasn't on the first floor. Urging her older sibling, Jane roughly grabbed her hand and ran down the stairs to get an explanation for the weird behavior of the people outside. The sight that they were greeted with once they stepped on the wooden floor was simply horrifying.

Their mother's flesh was being torn apart by one of the monsters.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

The voices of parents and kids laughing could be heard when the two sisters entered the prison that Glenn and Daryl had driven them to. Jane and Blaire soon looked at each other, both of them delighted with their new residence.

However, Blaire wasn't really content to spend the rest of her days here. She understood that being in one location would weaken you; even walls that are intended to be safe only endure a few years. She knows that people like her father would have adored this place, a safe haven for them to stay in. However, deciding that she needed to focus on the present more than ever, she ignored the previous thought and returned to her pessimistic ways.

Her family had been fighting the dead for so long that she had forgotten what humans were capable of; when she thought back on them, terrors and screams would come flooding back. Aside from her initial reaction, she reasoned that if more adults and kids were forgetting what lies behind the prison's walls, she would too-at least temporarily.

They were moved to cell block D, that's what Blaire had heard Daryl say, Jane and Blaire were moved to their room, well, more like their cell. It was a simple design with two bunk beds and a sink; she figured that because of how many people are living here, being moved to separate rooms would just cause more problems, both for Blaire and the council keeping this place intact.