Chapter 15- Victorious misunderstanding

KENZIE POV

'Students, the final vote calculation is finished and today we will get our first look at the annual student council. The participants are requested to assemble backstage.'
The speakers squeak out as students start to line up in the auditorium.  The excitement levels have been high and students have bet on the winners.

"Hey, don't worry about the elections. It's nothing of that much importance. You are still better in academics. That's what holds more value", Nic pats my shoulder. I give her a small smile and she blends back amidst the gathering.

"I appreciate the full attendance of our students as well as staff, despite it being the dispersal hour. Everybody is pretty excited about the results I assume", Miss. Neustatter takes the podium." As for every year, the student council will be formed based on these elections. The president and vice president would be from senior year, followed by the treasurer and secretary from junior year and the cultural secretary from sophomore while sports secretary from freshmen year. Before the allotment, let's get our contenders on stage."

A trail of students follows the applause and we step up on the stage. My roommates peep at me from their positions. Pie winks at me and Nic just smiles, standing frontmost.

"As for the posts other than the first four, the school does not hold voting. It is purely based on skill and academic outcome."In the foremost corner, I see a waving hand. His eyes stand sharply against the fresh trim.

She works her way down the chart and every applause resonates more than the previous.

"And now for the last part, I visited the competition and to say less, I am amused. The person fought for it and deserves the position. So the sports secretary of the 96th academic year of Virginia High is..."
Ray Turner.
"Miss.Kenzie Brown."
The crowd erupts into cheers. I watch my friends clap along with me in disbelief.
"Congratulations, Miss.Brown. Now please come forward and accept your post."

I walk towards the stage, feeling like I'm walking through quicksand. I can hear the whispers behind me.

"She's so lucky!"

"Did you see how she got the position?"

"Against Ray? No chance. She cheated of course."

Mrs.Neustatter pins the badge to my uniform and moves back for the oath. I take my position, thinking back to the day and Luna pops open a recording.

"I oath to..."

After crossing the other boy, I see myself stumble and close my eyes for a bit. Mr.Rodriguez whistles and declares it as the end. But Ray never crosses the line. Nic runs to me, scared, still no sign of Ray.

"I furthermore agree to..."

The students gather around and Nic and I indulge in a conversation. That is when a shadow appears and vanishes. That is the moment it clicks.
He never crossed the line.
He didn't finish the race. His standing with Archer and Aiden doesn't mean he completed it.

"At last, I pledge to fulfil my duty faithfully."

"Congratulations to the new school council members. The assembly is dismissed". The stage floods with students and Nic jumps on me as the video ends. I wrap my hands around her after a second and swing her in circles.

"Hey, what about me?", Pie complains and joine along with Vi, taking us all to the ground. They look at me guilty, before I hug them all and we start cracking up like a bowl full of jelly.

---

AIDEN POV

Her dimple is cute.
She holds her friends as they roll around.