CH 4

"So, you're an original vampire. You can't die from any regular wooden stake and you can compel other vampires. Okay, that explains what you are and all of that. Now why did you leave without saying goodbye?" I stop us on the sidewalk.

"Yes." He took a breath and fully turned to me. "Clarissa. You should know that I was instructed to watch over you for that time. You are important to someone in my family. When we had gotten news of your whereabouts I was sent to make sure it was indeed you and to take care of you until the right time." He kept eye contact with me throughout his stories and explanations during our walk. I could tell he was trying to read my reactions to the information he was giving me.

"That doesn't explain why you left. If you were supposed to watch over me, then why did you leave?" I asked him.

"The person that I was fulfilling orders from betrayed me," Elijah responded as he stared ahead of us. "I received the news from one of the informers we shared and debated on what to do. Later that day, you came to my office crying and told me about your sister. I could see how much pain and hurt you were going through; I knew it would take time for you to heal from it. Knowing this family member, they would only bring more pain and suffer into your life. Once you left my office, I told the informer that you had left all of a sudden with no trace. You never came to your afternoon vocal training and your dorm mother had said you left with no word or explanation. I then left the academy with only the message that I had family troubles that needed to be resolved." He looked over to me as I stared down at my feet not knowing what to say, "It was best for me to leave. It was what's best that had happened."

"Why am I important to your family member Elijah?" I raised my head to look at him. Scared that I would be told I was to be part of some form of sacrifice. "Is this family member really that bad? Are they going to kill me for some ritual I don't know about?" I could feel myself hyperventilating.

"He would never purposefully hurt you, Clarissa. There would never be any intentional suffering or pain caused by him or any member of my family." He told me with nothing but truth and honesty in his voice.

"So, he...." I started to walk down the path again. "He, I'm assuming one of your brothers? If it's your father you can count me out." I tried to joke a little.

"One of my younger brothers. He means well, but his way of things never really seems that way to others." I was able to get him to laugh a little at my comment.

Elijah decided our conversation needed to be centered around me for the rest of our journey to my house. I told him about the rest of my semester at the academy and how life has been here. We talked about how I don't sing as often, but once in a while at a karaoke night at Mystic Grill. We, well mostly me, laughed at some of my jokes or funny stories. Elijah would usually smile in amusement or shake his head at me.

"Alright, my house is just down this road. You want to walk me all the way there or want to let me go the rest of the way by myself?" I asked as Meatball and I stood waiting for his response.

"Clarissa." I hum at him to continue, "I told you that I had to leave and cover your story to keep you safe from my brother." He looked at me with an apology hidden behind his words. "His informers know that the doppelganger is here and human. Which means, he could show up at any given moment."

"Do they know I'm here?" I asked as the feeling of dread came into our conversation.

"No, they do not. He doesn't know you are currently here." He stressed currently and I took notice of it right away. "I'm sorry to do this to you my little songbird, but it's for your safety." I furrow my eyebrows confused until he held up my vervain charm bracelet.

"Elijah, please—-" I begged as he took a step back. He stepped forward and grabbed my shoulders keeping me still. All I remembered from that point on was

I must leave Mystic Falls