CH 5

"How are the lessons going Clare?" Matty asks me over the phone.

"Oh, you know. They're alright." I laugh as I go through my laundry basket trying to find the pair of jeans I was looking for.

For a week or so I have been in New York taking vocal lessons from a prestigious vocal coach. I can't remember when I signed up for the program, all I knew was that they had accepted me and I had to be on the next flight within a few hours. Everyone seemed as shocked as I was. I must have filled out the application when I was at the academy. However, Damon didn't seem as shocked and offered to pay for the ticket. Apparently, my room and board were paid.

"Jeremy and I were thinking about coming to visit you in a week or so," Matty said to me

"Oh, that would be so cool!" I celebrated a little as I found the jeans under the pile of clothes. "I can show you this awesome street taco place not too far from my building."

"That sounds great." I hear some rustling in the background and a 'shit'. "Hey, I need to let you go. I'll call you later."

"Okay. That wasn't weird. He's in Mystica Falls so it could literally be anything." I mumble to myself. I get my jeans on and slide my boots on; grabbing my coat I make my way to the door.

I go down the hall and work my way down the stairs saying hi to the landlord as she fumbles with her keys. As soon as I step outside I stop and feel memories flash.

You will leave Mystic Falls and not come back until I tell you it is safe enough. You will forget you saw me alive after I was staked by the Salvatore brothers. You have been invited to work with a vocal teacher in New York where you will be trained. You left the acceptance letter with the information in your back pocket.

"Elijah," I whisper once everything comes back to me. I storm back to my room to pack my suitcase. "That stupid original, compelling me and making me stay away! I'm going back home to give him a piece of my mind!" I tell myself as I unlock my door. I dial up Damon and wait for him to answer.

"Hey, Rissa." He breathes out, "I'm guessing you know?" I hear him snap at Alaric in the background. Saying something about how he was afraid this would happen.

"Yeah, and you are going to buy, compel, I don't care how but I am going to the airport and coming back home. I have some choice words for you and the original but I would prefer to say them in person." I grumble as I throw things into my suitcase.

"Well, two things." Damon starts. "One; Elijah is currently unavailable due to him being gray and a white oak stake lodged into him." I hear a thud in the background. "Second; the best I can do is a flight tomorrow. Which should bring you back bright and early in the morning. I can pick you up from the airport myself. Since you've been using my air miles."

I slump myself onto my bed and sigh, "I don't want to know why you felt you needed to dagger him. Just send me the information on the flight and pick me up when I land." I hang up before he responds, then toss my phone to the side of me on the bed. "Why can't I have a normal life?"