3 || From Wounds to Welcome

"I know..." he murmured, gently slipping his fingers beneath my chin to tilt my head upward. His gaze met mine, a mixture of concern and kindness evident in his eyes.

"I'll bring you some clothes and warm food. Can you stay awake a bit longer for me?" he asked softly.

I nodded slowly in response. A soft smile graced his lips before he straightened up and made his way to the door.

"I'll be back shortly." He whispered as he closed the door as if afraid the slightest noise might disturb me.

I found myself staring quietly at the folds of the bedding before me, as if they held some profound secret. With trembling hands, I reached out to smooth them, a small gesture to keep myself awake. Yet, as my gaze fell upon my own hand, a slight grimace touched my lips.

My skin bore bruises of varying shades—blues and greens painting a map of my recent struggles. Dirt adorned my hands, a testament to my hardships.

Yet, amidst this visual cacophony, the lingering half-cut rope around my wrist remained the focus point, a stark reminder of my recent captivity. Its presence whispered tales of confinement, a narrative I wished to escape.

Lost in contemplation, the soft creak of the door jolted me back to the present. Jae-Ha's entrance was marked by a quiet grace, carrying a bowl of warm soup, water and fresh clothes in his hands. But his shadow bore another figure, a silent companion offering aid in the form of steaming water and a fresh cloth. With a concerned glance, the silent helper retreated, leaving Jae-Ha and me alone once again, who in the meantime took a seat at the edge of the bed.

"Here, take this. Drink slowly." He offered, handing me a fresh glass of water.

I brought it to my cracked lips, savoring the coolness as it trickled down my throat. In that moment, it felt like the most exquisite elixir, almost bringing tears to my eyes. Sipping slowly, I indulged in the refreshing liquid, feeling its revitalizing touch. As the glass emptied, I felt a sense of regret for the precious drops lost that cascaded down my chin.

"Easy now." He cautioned, taking the glass from my grasp and setting it down.

Glancing at the bowl of soup, despite my three-day fast, hunger didn't seem to grip me. Perhaps I had grown accustomed to its gnawing presence. With mixed emotions, I watched as he lifted the bowl, offering it to me with care.

"I understand it's been a while since your last meal, and the thought might be daunting, but try to take a few sips to get your stomach going again." He reassured.

I know he's right though. With hands quivering, I accepted the bowl from him, gripping the spoon between my fingers. At first, I regarded the steaming soup with a grimace. Yet, as its aroma enveloped my senses, my body responded: saliva pooled in my mouth, and my stomach let out a soft growl. It was as though my survival instincts were reawakening, urging me to partake.

Oh, how much I've missed this!

The blend of flavors and the immediate warmth coursing through me brought tears to my eyes.

"This is truly delicious..." I murmured almost imperceptibly. Jae-Ha's smile widened, and he delicately rested his hand atop my head.

"I'll tell the pirate who made this. No one has ever shed tears over his cooking; he'll be thrilled." He remarked, his eyes gleaming mischievously.

As the soup dwindled to half its quantity, I surrendered the bowl back to Jae-Ha. Placing it on the table, he drew nearer, presenting a basin filled with warm water and an aged container brimming with bandages, ointment, and herbs.