twenty-one

As the drama of Gossip Girl unfolds on the screen, Paisley and I become more engrossed in the scandalous lives of the Upper East Siders

The familiar storyline offers a comforting escape, allowing me to momentarily forget about my worries. Despite the fictional drama, the reality of my own life lingers in the background, waiting to resurface.

After a few episodes, Paisley stretches and glances at me. "Hey, what do you say we take a break? Maybe go for a drive? Fresh air might do us some good."

I nod, appreciating her suggestion. "Yeah, that sounds nice. Let's go."

We grab our jackets and head outside. The spring air is crisp and refreshing, a welcome change from the confines of the house. We walk towards my car in companionable silence, getting in and driving off. 

Paisley breaks the silence first. "So, this guy from your class... have you thought any more about making the first move?"

I smile, remembering our earlier conversation. "I don't know, relationships arent really my thing. Maybe if we had a friends with benefits thing?"

Paisley considers my words thoughtfully as we drive along the quiet suburban streets. 

"A friends with benefits arrangement, huh? Those can be tricky, you know. It requires a lot of clear communication and boundaries to ensure neither person gets hurt."

I nod, keeping my eyes on the road. 

"Yeah, I know. It's just that with everything going on, I don't think I'm ready for something serious. But I also don't want to miss out on the possibility of a connection, even if it's a casual one."

Paisley leans back in her seat, her expression pensive. "I get that. Just make sure you're both on the same page. It can get complicated if one person starts developing feelings that the other doesn't reciprocate."

As we continue driving, the conversation shifts to lighter topics, and the tension in my shoulders eases. 

We end up at a scenic overlook, the perfect spot to stretch our legs and take in the view. The city skyline in the distance provides a picturesque backdrop, and the fresh air is invigorating.

"Thanks for suggesting this," I say, leaning against the railing and looking out at the horizon. "I needed it."

Paisley smiles, her eyes reflecting the late afternoon sunlight. "Anytime. It's important to take breaks and clear your mind."

We spend some time simply enjoying the scenery, the quiet moments interspersed with snippets of conversation. 

It's a welcome reprieve from the whirlwind of thoughts and emotions that have been consuming me lately.

When we finally decide to head back, the drive is filled with a comfortable silence. 

The rhythmic hum of the car on the road and the soft music playing on the radio create a soothing atmosphere. By the time we return home, I feel more grounded, ready to face whatever challenges lie ahead.