We Can Go Back Again

The second she heard the - sadly familiar - groaning in the pipes, Peggy knew what was coming; but she wasn't fast enough to jump out of the tub. The glacial water hit her right shoulder, making her gasp and flail. The biting liquid got her left ankle as well, on her way out. She grabbed her towel and rubbed herself vigorously, huffing and squirming.

She felt better once hot tea made its way into her stomach, and she started on her least favourite part of this recurring happenstance: texting the owner of the cottage she was renting.

His usual response - 'Will let Florencia know' - came almost immediately. Florencia was the local plumber; and Peggy made a mental note to take out the care package she had prepared for the Chilean, which included the socks Peggy knitted for the plumber's large family, the books for Florencia's mum that Peggy had picked up at the latest Fleckney Book Swap, and a jar of wild strawberry jam that Florencia's children loved so much.

For once, Peggy managed to finish her cuppa before the daily honk of the vicar's car came from outside. Peggy, who firmly believed in seeing the silver lining in every event, thanked her moody hot water tank for kicking her out of the bathroom earlier today; and she headed outside.

Frozen rain drummed on the hood of her anorak. The coat from a charity shop, and water swiftly found its way onto the back of her neck, making her shudder.

"Morning, Peggy," the Reverend Oliver Holyoake greeted her with his usual affectionate smile, when she climbed into his Rover.

"Morning." Peggy dug in her tote and pulled out a small cloth bag. "This is that soap that you asked me about the other day. I made some for you."

The vicar threw her a quick side glance.

"Are you going to tell me that you were making some anyroad, and it was no fuss at all?" he asked cheekily.

"But I was! Mrs. Nguyen will take it to her refuge, for the women. Plus I made a batch of the animal one for Dr. Carter, for his furry patients. You're just getting the small cut-offs. So, no fuss at all."

"You don't say." Oliver chuckled. "Still, you shouldn't have. And of course, most wholeheartedly, thank you. Ulla said it worked wonders on Nova's skin."

"Still dealing with the rash?" Peggy asked with sympathy.

The vicar nodded. "Rhys is bringing an expert from Abernathy," he said, referring to his cousin, the owner of the local construction company. "Thank you for the idea, by the way. To check the house for the irritants?"

"I hope you don't mind, but I mentioned it to Jackie." Peggy smiled shyly. "She is your neighbour; and if it's something in the area, she might want to look into her cottage as well."

"Of course! They've got a little'un too! I'll have Rhys give a ring to Alexander."

Alexander, Peggy's landlord, was the partner of Jackie, the Headmistress of the Fleckney Comprehensive and Peggy's best friend; and they indeed inhabited the cottage next to the vicar's. Their son, Lars Burns, was born five months ago, in October.

"Oh, before I forgot," Peggy exclaimed.

The vicar chuckled, and Peggy gave him a questioning look.

"Like that ever happens," he joked. "But please go on."

"I was going to say that Mrs. Tomlin texted me yesterday. They won't be able to deliver the flowers for the church until Tuesday. So I rearranged my schedule, and I'll be there to accept them and to finish decorating, but it'll be a day later. And I might need to do it after nine, because I'm volunteering at the Dyslexia Festival fundraiser that day."