Chapter Five: "Did you miss us?"

Dewey dropped Hallie and I off at our dorm. Randy wanted to stay with me, but I promised him, I'll be okay. He's only a few minutes away anyway. Hallie and I got ready for bed, not really saying much, both just letting our minds unwind from everything that happened today.

After she walked out to go take a shower, I pulled back my covers, gasping when I saw a polaroid photo sitting on my sheets.

I picked it up to see it was of Randy and I at the party tonight, kissing against the fence, right after he gave me the necklace. Written on the bottom was, "he did a great job protecting you" I felt my heart racing and I looked out the window, trying to see if I could make out Billy and Stu's shadows, but saw nothing.

I quickly slipped the picture into my backpack and sat down, not exactly knowing what to do. They're back. That had to be from them. Gale didn't write about the polaroids in the book, so no one knows about them, unless they were there in Woodsboro the first time.

Then the phone started to ring. "Shit," I mumbled, looking at it nervously. I grabbed it from my night stand, taking a deep breath before saying, "hello?"

It was quiet for a moment, all I could hear was their breathing at first, and then, "Hazel."

I bit my lip at the deep disguised voice."Yes?" I said, pacing.

"Did you get your present?" he asked. I glanced at my bag, where the picture sat and nodded. Before I could say yes, he said, "Good."

"You can see me." I said, spinning around to look out the window.

"Yes baby, we've been watching for a while now."

I took in a shaky breath. "We?"

"Mmhm," he hummed. I leaned closer to the glass, annoyed I couldn't see anything. He chuckled, "You won't find us that easily."

"Let me talk to her," I heard another distorted voice say and my breath hitched.

"Only for a minute," the first one said before I heard shuffling as the phone was passed over.

"Hey sunshine," he said and I closed my eyes, a tear escaping as I gasped. Stu is the only person who ever called me that.

"It's really you," I breathed, not being able to stop the small smile from forming on my lips.

"Of course it's us," he said. "Did you miss us?" I nodded, not taking my eyes off of the darkness outside my window.

But then it hit me. They promised they would be back for me. It's been two years, how am I supposed to just up and leave? I have a life here. School, friends, Randy. Do they expect me to just walk away from all of this? Last time it would have been easy to, I thought everyone I loved was dead. Wait- "Was it you? Earlier? Did you kill those people?"

"You mean the couple at the movie?" Stu asked. "Nah, we're not that sloppy."

"What about Cici?"

"The sorority chick?" he asked again.

"She was my friend." I said sternly.

"No, that wasn't us. We were watching you." Billy cut in.

"So that means it's a copycat," I mumbled.

"Yeah, a sucky one too. Can't wait to get my hands on them."

"If you were watching me, why didn't you help me when I was attacked?" I asked.

"We had already left once you went to see what was going on across the street."

I nodded again, pursing my lips. "He almost killed me," I said.

"We know," Billy growled. "Once we find him, he won't like it."

I gulped, thinking about the brutal ways my friends were killed two years ago. But a small smile came on my lips again, just hearing him say those words, knowing it's to protect me, makes me feel safe. In a twisted way.

"Back to watching me," I said. "When did that start?"

"We laid low for a while, getting back on our feet. Then we lost track of you when you graduated. Took a few months but we finally found you a few weeks ago."

"When did you and Meeks become a thing?" Stu asked.

I blushed, grabbing my necklace and messing with the charm. "The summer after junior year. We became close after that night and he ended up asking me to the movies for a real date."

"How sweet," he cooed and it sent shivers down my spine from the voice modulator.

"Didn't take long to move on," Billy grumbled.

I frowned. "You two left me. I was a wreck, and Randy was the only person who understood even a fraction of what I had gone through. I needed you, but you weren't there and he was. I looked for you two, everywhere, all of the time, but you were never there."

"Hazel," Stu started.

"He put me back together after you broke me." It was quiet as I held back tears. "You promised me."

"We're here now, aren't we?"

"Yeah, but I can't leave now."

"Because of him?"

"Because of life. I'm in school and have friends. I can't just leave."

"We have to take care of this copycat first. Then we'll leave."

I sighed, leaning my head on the window. "I can't leave him," I muttered brokenly. "I love him."

There was a familiar mechanical noise before, "Do you not love us anymore?" I sat up straight, hearing Stu's voice for the first time in two years. It was pained and nervous.

I didn't say anything for a moment, just looking into the darkness. But then, there was a flash, like from a camera, and I heard a click before a photo printing through the phone and I looked in that direction, my heart beating wildly knowing they were right there. My boys were right there.

"I do." I finally said. "I love you."

"Good girl," Billy replied, a smile evident in his voice. I smiled as well, setting my hand on the glass. I've missed their voices. "We'll be around. Don't worry too much."

"Wait!" I called but it was too late, he hung up. My shoulders slumped but I kept looking in that direction, hoping to catch a glimpse of them.

"Man that shower was just what I needed," Hallie said as she walked back into the room a few minutes later. "What are you doing?"

I turned around, giving her a small shrug. "Just thinking."

She sighed, "Get some sleep, Haze. It'll make you feel better."

I nodded, putting the phone back before making my way over to my bed, glancing outside one last time before turning out the lights.