Chapter Six: "Deputy dreamland"

The next morning, I woke up bright and early, hoping to see the boys outside, but was disappointed when they were nowhere to be seen. I used being up early to my advantage, going to meet Dewey outside where he was sleeping in his patrol car, supposed to be keeping an eye on my dorm. "Hazel! You scared me!" he said when I shook his shoulder through the window.

I laughed, "Yeah, the killer definitely won't get past you, deputy dreamland."

He blushed, shaking his head as he looked up at me, "What are you doing up so early?"

"Just thought I'd get an early start to my day. Maybe I could go with you to the station. See if they have any leads?"

He thought about it for a moment before nodding, "Get in."

I grinned. Going around and getting into the passenger side. We drove to the station, both annoyed to see Gale's news van outside. "Dewey, Hazel!" she said, rushing to us as we were making our way inside.

"What do you want, Gale?" I snapped.

"I want to come in and talk to the chief with you. It's happening again and I think I have just as much a right to be in there as you do. I was there that night too."

Dewey and I looked at each other before he sighed. "Fine. Come on."

We went inside, finding Chief Heartly in his office. "What are you three doing here?" He asked, standing up to greet us.

"We wanted to talk about the case, see if there are any leads," I said.

He looked us over before sighing, pointing to a white board with names and pictures of the victims. "We've got three victims. Maureen Evans, Phil Stevens, and Cici Cooper."

We all looked at the board before Gale spoke up, a twinkle in her eye. "Is Cici her real name?"

"Uh, no, it's Casey. Casey Cooper," he said, looking down at the papers on his desk.

I looked at Gale with wide eyes. "As in Casey Becker."

"Pardon me?" Chief asked, looking between us confused.

"She was a young victim in Woodsboro, as well as her boyfriend, Steven Orth." Gale explained.

"As in Phil Stevens," Dewey said, nodding.

"Maureen Evans, Maureen Prescott, that's Sidney's mother."

"Looks like you've got a copycat on your hands, chief," Dewey mumbled.

"And they're going in order," I said, thinking about who would be next.

"What do we do about protecting Hazel?" Dewey asked.

"I'll have my two best men watching her."

~~~

After that, the chief had two of his best detectives following me around, scoping places out and making sure there were no threats. They followed me to all of my classes, my friends giving questioning looks. "Do these guys have to follow you around everywhere?" Derek asked as we made our way to our next class.

"They're attached at the hip," I joked.

"How am I ever gonna get you alone?" he asked and I frowned, feeling uncomfortable with his words.

"To be honest Derek, maybe it's in your best interest if you stay as far away from me as possible. Mickey and Hallie too. I just don't want any of you to get hurt."

He stopped walking, looking at me in surprise before recovering with a neutral face. "I already did," he said, holding up his arm.

"You know what I mean. I don't want you to get hurt. Again."

"And I don't want to see you get hurt," he said, brushing some hair from my face.

"I won't, I've got those two bozos looking after me," I said, gesturing behind us. But I was actually referring to two other bozos that I know have to be hiding around here somewhere.

He shook his head, taking a step closer, "I just feel like I could protect you better than anyone else can."

I furrowed my brows, taking a small step back. "Thank you, Derek, but the only person I need you protecting is yourself right now."

He frowned, nodding as we started heading to our class again.

~~~

At lunch, I made my way to the table where my friends all sat overhearing Hallie laugh, "Randy? Come on? That guy is harmless."

"That's what they said about Dahmer," Mikey said before Derek met my eyes.

"Hey Haze," he said, causing Hallie and Mickey to look at me in surprise.

"Hey guys," I said sitting in the empty seat next to Derek. "What were you guys saying about Randy?"

"Oh, uh," Mickey stuttered before Hallie spoke up with an eye roll.

"Mickey here thinks your lover boy is the killer," she said.

"Really?" I asked, looking at him with raised eyebrows.

"Well I mean, it could be. History repeats itself, right?" he said and I laughed.

"Yeah, you'd have a point if it was anyone other than Randy. I love him to death, but he can barely kill a spider." They laughed at this and I shrugged. "It's true."

"Where is he anyway?" Hallie asked.

"He had to finish up an essay. But we're meeting with Dewey for ice cream later."

Mickey then sat up, leaning over the table towards me, "Where are your secret service guys?"

"Uh, over there," I said, pointing to the two men who stuck out like a sore thumb in their suits sitting at a table a few feet away.

"And which one is Kevin Costner?" Hallie asked.

"The one on the left is Officer Richards, he's a Gemini, divorced with two kids. The one on the right is Officer Andrews, a Capricorn, single, but I think he's gay."

"Really?" she asked, looking over at them.

"Mmhmm," I nodded, picking at my food a bit.

Derek started humming, drumming his fingers on the table next to me, "I think I love you, isn't that what life is made of..." he mumbled.

"Tom Cruise, Top Gun," I said and he looked over at me with a smile, nodding. I felt a pit in my stomach after the words left my lips, thinking back to Billy and I quoting movies with each other all of the time.

"You're good," he said.

"Yeah," I nodded, fiddling with my necklace.

"Hey, Haze, would you consider doing an interview for my documentary?" Mickey asked, glancing at Derek and Hallie for a moment.

I laughed, shaking my head, "Sorry Mickey, but I don't do interviews."

He nodded, sighing as Hallie and Derek snickered. "Yeah, worth a try I guess."

I shook my head, laughing a bit. "But if I ever change my mind, you'll be the first one I do." He grinned at this, giving me a wink before I stood up. "I've got to head over to meet Dewey and Randy. I'll see you guys later."