𝟭𝟬. 𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝘂𝗿𝗿

CHAPTER TEN ❝ right thurr ❞

CHAPTER TEN
❝ right thurr ❞

The Midsummer's house was a large mansion full of vacant rooms and dining halls that served no purpose past being used once a year for the event. Any other day of the year, you'd feel like a ghost walking through it, but tonight? It was lively and bright.

   When Valera arrived with her father, she couldn't help but feel like a real life black and white filter. Her father wore an all black suit while her dress was white and almost an angelic color. Her blonde hair was in a neat bun with her bangs out to shape her face and her white heels were already hurting her feet.

"Oh my god, Val. You look gorg." Sarah squealed as she came over. Being the two most wealthy families on Figure 8, they had to make a grand entrance and that meant walking out with theme music. She hated it, but right now seeing Sarah and Wheezie made her heart swell. She thought of these girls as her sisters and seeing them looking so beautiful was like getting a glimpse of what they'd look like on their wedding day or something.

"Shut up and look in a mirror, Sars, you look amazing." Valera promised the blonde and hugged her gently before smiling down at Wheezie. The youngest Cameron was about 13 and with each day that passed, she was growing into a beautiful young woman. She could still remember when the kid was running around in diapers. "Look at you, all grown up." she teased.

"Don't remind me. I hate this dress, it shows that I have boobs and I hate boobs. I mean, why do girls have to have fat on their chests? And don't say 'to feed babies' because Im never popping a literal gremlin out of my-" the girl began to rant before Rafe walked over, affectively cutting her off before any nasty words could be said. "Hey, can Val and I have a moment?" he asked his sisters in that tone that always meant he wasn't really asking.

Valera's smile faded slightly, remembering everything Rafe has put her friends through in just the past few days. It wasn't fair that they were beaten up and he didn't even have a bruise. None of this was fair.

   The girls walked back to their father and Rose, leaving the two alone in the hall. "Come to jump me or do you only do that to my friends?" she crossed her arms.

Rafe's face fell and he sighed out a bit. Why couldn't she just let that go? He barely even touched them. "Don't be like that, Val.." he trailed off, reaching for her arm gently but she moved back and caught him off guard completely.

"Like what? Protective of my friends? You're the one that hurt Pope on the golf course, or went after him and JJ last night. JJ almost needed stitches because of you." she glared angrily up at him, not pleased with his attitude about it all. She couldn't believe she had expected him to actually feel sorry. That was like asking an elephant to swim in the ocean: wasn't going to happen.

"Right, it's always about JJ."

Her brows furrowed. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means, that little Pogue has been ruining everything ever since summer started. I mean, at least during school, you were away from him for 8 hours but Jesus, I have to beg to spend time with you, otherwise you're up his ass 24/7!" Rafe snapped, his jaw clenching with anger. He felt like he couldn't breathe. He had hated JJ for a long time now, but he had to admit that it felt nice to say it aloud.