𝟭𝟰. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗹𝗱

CHAPTER FOURTEEN ❝ the gold ❞

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
❝ the gold ❞

   Valera woke to JJ shaking her in the early morning hours of dawn. Her brown eyes slowly opened to meet his blue ones and she groaned, closing them again. "Already?"

   The blonde chuckled, finding it amusing when she got grumpy. She was never much of an early riser and he could understand that because he wasn't either. Today was different though. It was around 2 am and they were about to be rich, they had to hurry. "You ready to go, princess? John B and Pope are on their way back with the girls and then we gotta go."

   "Yeah.." the girl grumbled and slowly sat up within the bed, the blankets pooling in her lap.

  JJ moved hair from her face gently, admiring her and silently grateful her eyes were still closed so he could do so. "You want to borrow a shirt?" he asked, grabbing a black hoodie from his duffle.

   The blonde yawned and nodded, opening her eyes once more and forcing them to stay open this time. As much as she wanted to continue to sleep, she knew she couldn't. "Mhm." she lifted her hands and allowed JJ to put the hoodie on her.

   The boy beamed, pulling her hair from under the collar of the hood and admiring how she looked in his clothes. Something about it always got him going but he didn't have time for that right now. Combing his fingers through her curly blonde hair, he grabbed a hair tie. "Bun or pony?"

   "Bun, please." she mumbled tiredly, rubbing her eyes while he worked on forming the bun. One thing about being friends with girls, the guys all knew how to do hair even if they didn't want to admit it.

   The boy finished and kissed her head as if to finish his work, then seen the Twinkie lights flash in the windows. "There's our ride, Val."

   She looked up at him, raising her brows. "Do I look a mess?"

   JJ met her gaze, fighting the urge to peck those pouty lips. "A hot mess." he promised with a grin, ushering her out of the shack and into the van where the others waited.

𓆉

   John B was speeding down the road, the Twinkie headlights off as he parked on the road of the Crain house. "You got rope?"

   "Got it." Pope nodded, looking through the duffle bag full of supplies they'd need to get the gold. He and Kiara had made the list on the way home, having stopped at an overnight store too.

   "Grappling hook?"

   "No grappling hook. We're not Batman." Pope denied and gave his friend a look to be realistic.

   "Dark clothes?"

   "Check." Kiara chimed in, motioning to all of them. Her and Sarah seemed more on board with working together now and were even sharing some black jackets with Sarah's old cheerleading number on it.