CHAPTER 21 - Carefree

carefree /ˈkɛːfriː,ˌkɛːˈfriː/ — free from anxiety or responsibility

     The dining room was already rowdy by the time Reinae joined. The dimly lit space was lightened by lamps and candles, illuminating the big table around which the people she called family sat.

     Aiden was nursing a tankard of ale, grinning at Mila, who was probably yapping about something he had no clue about, but he listened anyway. Eld, Petra, and Gunther were laughing about their many battlefield exploits, each holding cups of ale. Oluo, in his ever-competitive spirit, was in the middle of a heated arm-wrestling match with Jasper, who grinned at him over his glass of whiskey. They were accompanied by Carter and Isaac, who both yelled more or less encouraging words for them, repeatedly slamming their glasses onto the table. Hange was talking Miche's and Moblit's—Hange's assistant—ears off. By observing the squad leader's animated gestures, Reinae assumed she was in a fervent discussion about the mysteries of the Titans.

     "Reinae!" Hange exclaimed when she saw her by the door. "Join us! We were just discussing the anatomical characteristics of Titans!"

     Reinae rolled her eyes but grinned, making her way to them. "Nothing like a bit of Titan anatomy to liven up the evening."

     Hange ignored her sarcasm, offering her a glass of whiskey. Reinae took it, giving Miche a meaningful look since he begged her with his eyes to save him from the conversation he was stuck in. Reinae winked at him and sneakily moved to Jasper and Oluo as Hange dove back into her monologue.

     "Is that all you've got?" Oluo grinned at Jasper, despite him being red with an effort to beat Reinae's best friend. "I've seen women with stronger arms!"

     "Careful, Oluo, or I'll be the one to challenge you next," Reinae purred into his ear, throwing him off focus, and Jasper slammed his hand onto the wooden table.

     "No fair! You distracted me!" Oluo complained while Jasper and Reinae laughed, clinking their glasses.

     "As if you could ever beat him," Carter laughed, throwing an arm around Jasper's shoulders. "He was going easy on you."

     Oluo paled, glaring at Jasper in an appalled manner. "You wouldn't," he growled threateningly—nothing would hurt his ego more.

     Jasper laughed again, shrugging. "It was fun watching you struggle, so I dragged it out a bit."

     They all laughed at Oluo's shocked stammering and ignored his attempts to challenge someone else. Reinae turned her head, seeing Mila and Aiden nearing their side of the table. They looked ridiculous next to each other as he towered over her—the difference in their height must've been at least three heads.

     "Where's your handsome grumpy man?" Mila asked, winking at Reinae.

     "Sleeping, hopefully."

     "Old fart," Aiden grumbled, drinking from his tankard.

     "Say that to his face if you dare," Reinae laughed out, wiggling her eyebrows at her brother.

     "You think I'm scared of him?!" Aiden flexed his biceps, his broad shoulders squared. "I could break him like a toothpick if I wanted to!"

     Mila and Reinae exchanged a meaningful look that enraged Aiden even more.

     "You forget, brother, that Levi has a power similar to mine," Reinae reminded him to stop his fussing. "But his is entirely focused on physical strength. So, considering you can't even beat me, I doubt you'd stand a chance against him."