Chapter Fifteen - The Haircut

Lana:

I shut the basement door, and then, like my life is some swoony Hallmark movie, I press my back against the door and let out a long, content sight.

I tie my hair up and take a body shower, a permanent smile on my face when I start shaving my legs. I pegged Angel to be an asshole, but I realized during our conversation that I was wrong about him.

I basically snuck up on him while he was crying – which I hadn't planned on doing until the very last second. My legs just kind of pivoted and my brain was like you're doing this and before I knew it, I was sitting with him.

He looked devastated. He looked like a completely different person, sitting there, breaking down. I forgot about Saturday and our encounter in the bathroom hallway, and I just wanted to be there for him.

Spending the morning talking to him, seeing this undefended side of him...I want to keep getting to know him, and this haircut is the perfect opportunity to do that.

And I get to play with his pretty hair.

I wash my body, thinking he had to have made the appointment after he saw me walking up his driveway, which means I made an impression on him.

Because I wanted to talk to you, and I didn't.

I finish washing my face and turn off the water.

I need to leave in thirty minutes, so I do my skincare and focus on my hair. It's a few days unwashed, so I slick it back in a bun with red and gold chopsticks, and then I walk into my closet and riffle through my clothes, feeling the urge to wear something biker style. I settled on an all-black body suit, a cropped leather jacket and Chuck 70's. It's not as professional as I usually dress, but I think Angel will like it.

Before I leave, I grab one of my Tigers Eye stones from the windowsill, all charged up from last night's full moon, and slip it in my jacket pocket.

I leave the basement at 7:35 and walk down the long driveway to my car parked on the street. I clock in at 7:54 and say good morning to a few of the girls. Avaley has a mug of espresso waiting for me at my station, and at 8:15, I get my first client that wants a blow out for a wedding she's attending later. She's a sweet girl, with long, deep brown hair that I styled with hot rollers. She tips me fifty bucks and tells me she's going to make an appointment with me for a haircut as soon as possible.

"She was sweet," Avaley comments when her client leaves. "What was her name?"

"Valerie. And yeah, she was. Hey, do you know what time it is?" I ask. Avaley always wears an Apple watch, and I keep my phone locked in my drawer.

"Nine-oh-OH!"

I jump and look up to see what Avaley shouted for.

My heart surges when I see Angel being guided through the salon. With hands in his pockets and long hair spilling over his shoulders, his unhurried strides and heaving boots plunked across the marble floor, eating up the distance between us.

"What is he doing here?"

"Getting his haircut, apparently," I murmured under my breath, making myself look busy. "Long story. I'll explain later."

"You better."

I hide behind my mirror and make a quick AHHH! face. She giggles and starts organizing her brushes. I quickly compose myself and move around my station to meet Angel. He's changed into a black T-shirt and dark blue jeans, but he's wearing his sleeveless Grey Gods cut, and seeing him in it...does something to me. Makes me foggy in the head.