Twelve | The bench

Coach Dlamini was at his house, eating and he was also thinking about what Mr. Wilson said about Mxolisi. His wife came and she was a dentist. He thought of telling Mxolisi but also thought that Mxolisi is a great player and they are many top teams who would pick him. "Morning love," Mrs. Dlamini greeted. Coach Dlamini nodded his head greeting back to his wife.

"Wow, looks like you're in deep thoughts," Mrs. Dlamini said.

"Huh, not really," coach Dlamini replied. His wife looked at him because she knew that he was lying and waited for him to talk. "Okay, I have a youngster player but I cannot control my own team on the field and this player is hated by the captain, so he doesn't get enough game time," he said.

"What? You are a coach, how come you don't have control in your team?" She was confused.

"Well in our school, the captains are the ones who have control in the team especially lineups because the principal believes that the captains knows his own teammates," he replied.

"That's not true, you re the coach and the captain is the leader not a coach. You must fight for you position," she suggested. 

The coach thought about what his wife just said and thought if he get his position as the coach maybe he can be able to help Mxolisi. "That's not the only thing I was thinking. Yesterday I was approached by another coach and offered to sign this youngster," the coach said.

"So?" His wife was confused. "This player hasn't even got a chance to play comfortable in the field and he was noticed on his first full match. So what if he gets the chance to play everyday? He can be noticed by higher teams, not just locals ones," he said.

"I still don't get your argument here, but it's the player's choice to choose either they are going or not. It's not yours and also step up for your position, bye," Mrs. Dlamini left.

Coach Dlamini thought of standing up for his position and do what he has to do for Mxolisi's best.

Early in the morning in school 

Nokwanda was walking towards her class and noticed that everyone was busy looking at her. She felt ashamed and some learners were laughing at her. She started to regret what she did the other by giving Thando her position. She felt like she had to do it because she started to be scared of what Thando will say to everyone. Mzwanele saw her walking and thought about what happened at the hall. He was really worried and wanted answers, he went to her. He greeted her and Nokwanda thought that Mzwanele wanted to tease her.

"Listen Nokwanda, I'm worried about you and I know you wouldn't just give up your position in netball," Mzwanele was concerned.

"What do you want from me?" She asked.

"I just want to talk to you," he replied. Nokwanda didn't believe that he came in peace, all she thought was that she was being a laugh stock. "I'm sorry I don't have time," Nokwanda pushed him away.

During Math period

Mr. Gary was teaching and he kept on looking at Mxolisi to see if he was focusing or not. Mxolisi was really trying to focus but he kept on thinking about the game. Mr. Gary noticed that Mxolisi wasn't focusing and thought of asking him a simple question. "Mxolisi how about you give us an answer to this one," he called out to him. Mxolisi starred at him and said to himself, "I knew it," he stood up and went in front of the chalkboard. The question was [KM=26, KL=8 and LM=3x+3. Calculate the length of LM]. Mxolisi struggled doing it and Mr. Gary was disappointed.