Chapter Eight

I saw a spark of dim hope in the light, generated just now.

''The man responsible for Endeavor- the number two hero of Japan's murder- has finally been arrested-''

No matter how many times he listens, the words won't make sense.

''Levvy James, a foreigner from Australia. The man likely used his quirk, chameleon, to sneak undetected into Endeavors family home-''

It feels so distant. These words, this situation, feels so distant and incomprehensible.

''It has been discovered that many years ago, Endeavor arrested the man's sister, Levvy Addison. Could he have truly killed the number two hero? It's looking more and more likely as-''

He should feel something from these words, surely.

Guilt, anger, despair. Anything would be better than this...

He plays the video again. ''A foreigner from Austra-''

And again. ''Endeavor arrested the man's sister, Levv-''

And again. ''Could he have truly killed the number two hero?''

Levy James, a man was in jail, on trial because of him. His life was ruined because of him. Wasn't this akin to taking his second victim? His actions had caused another life to be lost, and worse still, this time, he had no convenient excuse.

And yet, despite knowing that, he doesn't feel anything. Guilt, anger, despair, no- if he feels anything...

He feels relieved.

Can he even call himself a human anymore? Is it really okay, to keep on living like this?

...Maybe he'll just go to sleep.

Visiting the hotel had quickly cemented itself as a part of his weekly schedule. He wasn't so naive as to let his guard down when in the establishments vicinity, but he couldn't deny the tentative calm which washed over him when making the journey every Saturday.

Hizashi was opposed, to begin with. It was only rational to react in such a way if your partner is giving away his weekends in order to infiltrate a potentially dangerous operation.

But when he had asked his husband what he could do to make the situation easier on him; his response had been surprisingly reasonable.

''Sho, I understand this is important to you, but confide in me, yeah? I want to know what's going on, I don't like being left in the dark.''

And so, he obliged. Once he had begun giving Hizashi updates, things calmed down. In fact; the man seemed ecstatic to hear his weekly reports, for whatever reason.

His newfound routine was a simple one. He would arrive at the hotel, set up his recording devices discreetly, patrol the area and then return during the prime socialisation hour for the clientele.

At one point he might have found it tiring, but in comparison to teaching? It almost felt like meditation.

Right now, he was standing in the hallway on the third floor, with two casual acquaintanceships he had made during prior visits.

The two villains were hardly good company, but are prone to gossiping. It felt somewhat shameful, to be chatting about such frivolous things with the criminals he was typically employed to catch, but there is no room for pride when lives may hang in the balance.

''Isn't the receptionist a child? I wonder why he's employed here, of all places.'' He wonders out loud, feigning indifference as he leans casually against the wall, a cigarette clasped between his fingers.