Chapter 6

- Evangeline

I was actually disappointed , Nathaniel seemed very nice, usually boys as gorgeous as him went in for the popular crowd, not the nerd table where the three of us sat. But he actually stopped to talk with us , but that was before he rushed off. Benton felt as if his actions were an insult to us, however I believed that something was wrong. My heart ached watching him leave, it was a similar feeling I got from the wolf who visited me last night. I know it sounded weird but something inside me was longing to see either Nathaniel or the black wolf. It was like they both took a part of me with them. 

After school finished, I made my way back home, just like in the morning I had a weird need to run through the forest. So that's exactly what I did, but my brain seemed to pick out various smells and sounds in the forest, "was that normal?" I brushed the thought away as I reached home. 

My parents were there and dinner was served. "Hello honey , how was school today?" mom asked, kissing me on my head. I smiled at her, "hey! school was good. Did dad find out about the hunters?" I was curious and worried about my wolf. Just then I detected my dad coming home, parking his rower in the garage, and mom looked worried, "why don't we talk about it after dinner honey?" looking up she noticed that dad had come home, how was that possible that I heard my dad's car before it was even close to our house? I sighed , I knew it wasn't nice to haul this as soon as dad came home but something in me remained unsatisfied. 

So I dragged myself upstairs to my room , after dumping my bag on the table I took a hot shower to relax my tense body and calm my nerves, all the weird stuff happening to me is giving me the creeps. After changing into shorts and a baggy t-shirt I went downstairs for dinner. My mom's long hair was tied into a messy bun and both of them were dressed in more casual clothing. During dinner dad usually we talked about our day , but I did not see my parents during other times. They were quite busy, "we didn't catch any hunters, honey. But we did find wolf tracks." Now I was interested , was it my wolf? "Was it a pack?" I asked. My father smiled , "no honey , I think it was a loner." oh! That was not what I expected. "Is something wrong?" my dad was eyeing me suspiciously, it was weird because sometimes they seemed to have the ability to read me like an open book. I shook my head, "no, Shelly wanted to check on some for photography so I will be going over to her house this Friday, is that okay?" I usually go to Shelly's house regularly but something about asking to go at night made me nervous. My parents agreed after telling me to be careful.

***

After finishing off my homework I went straight to bed. I was so exhausted that I fell straight asleep. 

- Nathaniel

That night I transformed. I patrolled around Evangeline's house but my wolf was impatient. He wanted to see her face to face to check if she was alright. So he started scratching the back door and whining loudly. I was very worried that if the hunter heard him we might get caught, and it would also put our mate in trouble. The thing was I was wondering if these were hunters sent by the shifters that attacked our community, if so this was a whole new heap of trouble we were getting ourselves into. 

But right now there was nothing I could do, my wolf wanted to see Evangeline and get that stupid necklace off her and he wasn't going to stop whining until he thinks she is safe. My sensitive ears caught movement upstairs of the house , someone was coming down , the footsteps were light so it must be our mate. I went to the door and whined more loudly , soon the door creaked open revealing a surprised looking Evangeline. She smiled as soon as our eyes met, "Hey, you're back!" she looked very happy to see me , that was a very good sign but I had to get that necklace off her. I couldn't transform she might freak out. But we could not stay out either, so I rushed up to her bedroom silently. The smell of jasmine filled her room. I gladly took a big whiff of it then climbed up and lied down on her bed. I heard the door locking and a few minutes later soft fingers ran through my fur. It felt wonderful but we had other priorities right now.

 - Evangeline

I was really surprised that my black wolf was back, it was like somebody actually made my wish come true. He seemed excited to see me , now he was curled up in my bed. It looked like we were besties now , but I could not help thinking how similar his eyes are to Nathaniel's. But that was definitely not possible , I was really starting to lose my mind, what's with me and the weird stuff these days? I was lost in thought when suddenly my wolf butted his nose on my neck , what was wrong? I scratched him more, thinking it was what he wanted but he pulled away and growled. Something about that growl hurt my feelings. Was he mad at me? Why? I waited patiently for him to do something to tell me what was going on but instead he disappeared into the bathroom.

I was so confused but then I heard sounds like bones were snapping in the bathroom , a shiver ran down my spine , was my wolf okay? What's going on? I opened the bathroom door and froze halfway about to scream. Strong arms wrapped around me stopping me from running straight to my parents , "please listen to me!" Nathaniel urged, "how on earth did you get in here? And where is my wolf?" furry bubbles inside me , no one messes with my wolf. A small smile spread through his face , "you wanna see?" he asked, looking excited. I was confused , how did he know where my wolf was? And he hasn't answered my initial questions yet. He seemed to hesitate a bit , "come with me, okay? And I'll tell you the truth, but we have to go out." 

We went out to the clearing, "stay here," he said softly then disappeared around the bushes. I heard rustling, like he was changing clothes. The thought made me blush, okay that was totally bizarre, Nathaniel seemed to be the only one that I seemed to have a connection with. Then there was a bone snapping sound like before in the bathroom, "Nathaniel, are you okay?" it was silent for a few minutes then there was a yip! And my beautiful black wolf rustled out of the bushes. What had just happened? if I wasn't wrong Nathaniel just turned into my wolf , how was that even possible, those things happened in movies and books, right?