Chapter 20

PAIGE'S POV

It was Tuesday morning. We were already almost late for breakfast. Mrs Jones came round to wake the girls up at 7:30 but we still slept in. We stayed up until midnight playing random card games and taking mugshots of each other and doing a bunch of random TikToks. We were nackered.

We ran down to the ground floor and to the dinner hall where everyone was already eating. It was like a mini buffet. We had an option from Full English Breakfast to some Cheerios cereal. And, of course, tea.

For those who don't know what full english brekkie is:

best thing ever.

After breakfast we had a bit of time to get ready for some canoeing. We all waited downstairs for everyone to get ready. Once everyone got here, we we taken to the Silent Lake. We were told to go into groups of no more than four people. As expected, I was in a group with Skylor and Pixal and the boys were in one group. We were all given life jackets before getting paddles. We were taught the basics before getting on a canoe.

It was a nice and relaxing two hours which ended up speeding past. We glanced over to the boys, who were shouting at each other over something. Kai was at the front, clutching onto the aggressively swaying boat. Nya took her phone out and started recording the boys bickering.

"Stop swinging the boat like that!!" Kai screamed, "You know how much I fear water!!"

"Tell him to stop then!!" Jay screamed into Cole's face.

"I'm not doing anything, mate!"

Zane was sat in the back just laughing at everyone. Eventually, Jay and Cole fell out of the boat, leaving all of us laughing. Jay and Cole were still splashing at each other in the water.

"That was your fault!"

"Mine?! You started this bruv!" Cole shouted back.

Kai rolled his eyes and dragged Jay back onto the canoe while Zane helped Cole and swapped places with him to keep him away from Jay. It didn't go well. He got tangled up between them and they all fell into the water apart from Kai. I heard Mr Wu giggling from another canoe.

Once again, Kai helped them back onto the canoe. They were drenched in water but rather than shouting at each other, they laughed. After that, we had break time so we all went to the dining hall for some tea and biscuits. I noticed Kai look ill again so I grabbed one of the water bottles from next to the biscuits and quickly took him to his room. He went into the bathroom and started vomiting. I didn't know anxiety attacks can get this bad. That must be one hell of a bad gut feeling...

After break, we were doing some team building thing and we were building rafts. We were put in groups. We were playing a bunch of field games like rounders and football and stuff. To be fair, it wasn't that bad. Kai wasn't feeling too well though. He sat most of the games out. He did feel better when we went hiking.

We were split into groups and we were doing a bit of map reading. It wasn't all too bad. Jay did get us lost so we just kept him away from the map. We eventually got to the meeting point - a small field in the middle of the woods and we all had a nice group picnic. The sun was shining and it was nice and warm. When we got back we got a bunch of free time so we sat in our room playing Uno with the boys and a few people from other rooms too. We had a huge Uno party until dinner.

We had more free time after dinner so some of us hung around the camp until it was time to go to our rooms again. I wish we were allowed to stay outside for a bit longer. The place is nicely decorated with lamps and fairy lights...

The next day we had breakfast and went rock climbing. It was my first time doing rock climbing so I was a tad nervous. The wall was pretty tall and it was outside which made me calm my nerves a bit, I guess. We were in groups and we took turns. Nya went first followed by Cole, Kai, Sky, Zane, Jay and then me.

"You won't fall! That's what the ropes are for!" Nya reassured me. Once I got the hang of it, it was super easy! After my turn we had a small break. We came back to our thing and I couldn't wait for my turn again. This time round, I managed to get to the top. The rest cheered from the bottom. I giggled a little and I was about to get down but I slipped.

I held onto the rocks just as the rope snapped. I was like... really high up.

I was frozen in place in terror. My breathing became heavy. "Nya?" I said.

"Yeah?"

"You know how you said that the ropes are supposed to stop me from falling?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, I don't think they work."

"What do you mean."

"My rope just kinda snapped!" I yelled.

"Oh shit!" I heard Nya said. "Uh... I'll get Mr Wu! Don't move!" I watched her run off and I noticed Talia giggle evilly. Well thanks, mate.

"Pix!" Kai yelled.

"What?!" I shouted. I was getting all panicky and my palms started sweating.

"We'll catch you if you fall! Just... come down very slowly!"

"Heck no!!" I tried clutching onto the rocks tighter.

"You can do it!" Sky said. "Imagine the rope is there!"

"It's easier said than done!!" I shouted back. Soon enough, Mr Wu ran over with Nya and a bunch of other kids were staring. I gasped as I almost slipped. I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Pix, you need to come down nice and slowly," sir instructed.

"Look, I would've done it ages ago if I had a rope. I don't have a rope so it's MUCH harder to keep balance!" I explained.

"I'll be back," sir said, running off.

"Wait, what?!" I yelled. Well, great. Now I don't even have a teacher. I held tightly onto the rocks and took deep breaths with my eyes shut.

"Pixal?" I heard Kai say.

I opened my eyes and looked to the right of me. Kai had his helmet and harness on, connected to his own rope. "Kai?!" I gasped a little as I was about to slip.

"I'll help you get down, hold on." He climbed closer to me and I screamed as I slipped.

Kai managed to catch me in time. I let out a massive sigh of relief. "I got you!" he said. We were let down slowly and my feet were finally on solid ground. I laid down and I started laughing with relief.

"That was so close!" I got up and hugged Kai. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome." I pulled away and glanced at Talia who was giving me a dirty glare.

Well that was eventful.