Chapter 25

ZANE'S POV

I invited Cole over the next day. We were going to come out to our parents today and come out to our friends tomorrow. After we tell my dad about us, we're going to Cole's house to tell his dad. I was very nervous because I didn't know what to expect.

I opened the door and led Cole inside. This is only the third time that my dad saw him, the first time being taking us to the monastery. I took Cole to the garage, where my dad was working on a project.

"Morning, Mr Julien!" Cole greeted.

"Oh! I forgot that you were coming today, Cole! You see, I would've shaken your hand if mine weren't dirty," dad laughed. "How are you? Let me make you a cup of tea or something."

"I'm okay, really," Cole reassured with a smile. "I've only stopped by for a few minutes..."

"No problem at all. Do you need anything else, boys?" he turned back to his work.

"There is one thing..." I said. "We wanted to talk to you about something..."

My dad put his tools down and turned to us. He raised an eyebrow. "What do you want to talk to me about?"

My heart started to race. I couldn't find the words to tell him about us. Cole took my hand and squeezed it gently, helping me relax a little. I took a deep breath, "Dad, Cole is my boyfriend."

My dad stood there, switching glances between me and Cole. At this point, I was completely terrified. I was scared of what he was about to say. After a few moments, my dad smiled, "I'm so happy for you two! I knew that there was something going whenever I dropped you off..." My dad laughed a little as he cleaned his hands with some wipes before coming over to hug me.

"So... you accept me?" I asked, hugging him back.

My dad pulled away, "Of course I do, you're my son. Why wouldn't I accept you? What a silly question. And Cole," he said, placing his hand on my boyfriend's shoulder, "Welcome to the family."

Cole smiled, "Thanks, Mr Julien. Uh," he looked at his phone to check the time, "Zane we should head to mine."

"Oh right, we're going to tell Cole's dad now."

"Well, good luck boys! I'll see you later!"

We left and headed to Cole's house. Cole unlocked the door and we went inside. I'm meeting his dad for the first time today. Cole's dad was in the kitchen making himself a cup of tea.

"Hey, dad!"

He turned around. "Hey, Cole. You must be Zane!" He held his hand out and I shook it, "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Mr Brookstone."

"Would you like a cup of tea?"

"No, thank you. I'm okay."

Cole took a deep breath, "Dad..."

"Hm?" Mr Brookstone took a sip of his tea.

"Meet my boyfriend," Cole said, taking my hand. Mr Brookstone swallowed his tea and started coughing. I guess he didn't expect that. He put his mug down and cleared his throat.

"Boyfriend?" He repeated after Cole, looking at me. I noticed tears start to form in his eyes. He held the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger.

I looked at Cole, who, with an angry expression on his face, was glaring at his dad. "Are you crying because we're gay?"

Mr Brookstone shook his head and glanced up at Cole. "No, son." He smiled, "I'm crying because you feel comfortable to tell me... I'm happy for you Cole," he explained, walking over to his son. Cole's expression softened as his dad placed his hands on Cole's shoulders. "And I accept you, no matter who you are or who you love."

They hugged in the middle of the kitchen, crying onto each other's shoulders. I smiled at the very heart-warming sight. To think that just a few weeks ago, they didn't get along at all. I'm glad that they made up.

The next day, we walked to school together along with Paige. We all take the same route to school so it's easier. The others live a bit further so they take a different route. As expected, Kai and Nya were already there. Me, Zane and Pix were next to arrive. We were just waiting for Skylor and Jay. Everyone was sat down apart from me.

"Are you okay, Nya?" I asked.

"Hm? Oh... Uh... I guess so." She fiddled with her school bag which was on the table. She sighed, "I'm still... shaken by what happened."

"Did you not wanna stay home?" Cole asked.

Nya looked around before saying, "I'm talking to a teacher, remember. The sooner I tell him, the better. I don't want Kai or Jay to get in trouble for some idiotic reason."

"Fair enough... Let's just hope they'll believe you over them," Pix said.

A few minutes later, Skylor and Jay came to the table. "Hi, guys! How are we?" Skylor asked.

"Eh... Alright," Kai said.

Jay yawned, "Tired as fuck..."

"Let me guess, you binge watched the Starfarer films," Cole commented.

"Look, all of them came out on Netflix the other day and I could never find Starfarer: Fritz Donegan and the Laser Eyed Aliens anywhere. Not the film at least, I do have the comic though. I finally had a reason to re-watch all the movies, including this one."

"Was it worth it?" Nya asked.

"Of course it was! SFDLEA was great, but I still think that SFDZA is the best one."

"Piss off, the best one was obviously SFDNS. It had the best revenge arc."

"Okay, fair enough. That's definitely my second favourite."

"Can someone translate please?" Pix asked.

Nya took a deep breath, "SFDLEA stands for Starfarer: Fritz Donegan and the Laser Eyed Aliens, SFDZA is Starfarer: Fritz Donegan and the Zombie Apocalypse and SFDNS is Starfarer: Fritz Donegan and Nova Solace."

"Did you watch SFDLEA yet?" Jay asked Kai.

"Of course he did," Nya answered.

"I absolutely HATED that villain!" Jay exclaimed.

"Yeah, I mean, they got the backstory right. The rest of it was just utter shit," Kai criticized.

"And the actor was even worse. And even-"

"Okay!! We get it!!" Cole yelled, shutting the two up. "You two are massive Starfarer geeks. Can I talk now?"

"Fine," Jay huffed.

Cole stood up next to me and I took his hand. "We're together."

While Sky, Kai and Paige's jaws dropped, Jay and Nya didn't seem so surprised.

"Are you for real?? Congrats!" Pix exclaimed.

"Good on you, guys."

"Since when?!" Kai yelled.

"The party..." Cole said.

"Kai, why are you so surprised?" Jay asked.

"What sane person would think you're serious about it?"

Jay narrowed his eyes at Kai. "Hey!"

"We kinda know..." Nya admitted with a smile.

"How?" I asked.

"Me and Jay may or may not have seen you on the roof... Uh... Kissing...?"

Me and Cole's eyes widened. We were both blushing at Nya's comment. "You kissed?!" Skylor asked with a chuckle. "That's so cute! Wait..." She gasped and lowered her voice to a whisper. "We almost walk in on you two on the trip, didn't we?" she asked teasingly.

"Jay! What was your favourite Starfarer movie again??" Cole asked while scratching the back of his head, desperately trying to change the subject.