𝘀𝗶𝘅𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

Kamaria made her way to the stables to speak with Bash, who was busy grooming a horse

Kamaria made her way to the stables to speak with Bash, who was busy grooming a horse. "You're aware of how Tomas passed away. And indeed, there were poppies, in full bloom," Sebastian stated, not pausing in his grooming.

"That's a peculiar detail to recall," Kamaria commented, eyeing Sebastian curiously.

"The mind focuses on small things when faced with the larger horror of taking a life," Sebastian remarked.

"I apologize. I should not have brought it up. Honestly, I might just be trying to find connections where there are none," Kamaria murmured.

"What's the reason? Did Nostradamus disclose something to you that you hope is true?" Sebastian inquired, glancing at Kamaria while he continued to groom the horse.

"No," Kamaria responded hastily, her voice betraying a dishonesty that Bash observed but opted not to question further.

"I have known him for many years. He is correct more often than not. And when he is wrong, I believe it's we who have misunderstood his words, and he is too cautious to correct us. Indeed, Tomas chose the dragon as his emblem—presumptuous, maybe, but it was his own choice," Bash elucidated.

"And the lion represented the English, of course," Kamaria realized.

"As I mentioned, Tomas chose his own symbol. That's what we, the bastard-born, do since technically we belong to no one," Bash explained.

Bash ceases grooming the horse and proceeds to present his sword to Maria, saying, "Allowing me to choose the lion for myself." A golden lion is intricately etched onto the blade of his sword.

"Is this the sword you used to fight Tomas?" Kamaria questioned Sebastian, raising her eyebrows inquisitively.

Sebastian responded, "A fight to the death, amidst a field of poppies."

𐬿★𐬿

It was the following morning, and Kamaria found herself in Francis's chambers, lying fully clothed on his bed. She confided her concerns to Francis, who sought to comfort her, "I want you to know... no matter what occurs, I love you."

"What is going to happen? We are getting married this evening. I understand you're frightened. Talk to me. If this is about England--" Francis inquired, his eyebrows knitting together in concern.

"It's not about politics. It's about us. We already possess so much. To desire more... Do you believe we are tempting fate?" Kamaria questioned.

"Testing fate in what way?" Francis inquired.

"By assuming we can possess all our desires. Maybe such a privilege is meant for deities, not for queens and kings. Maybe there's a dreadful cost involved," Kamaria remarked.

"We have dedicated our existence to our country. We continue to gamble greatly for our nation, whether we stake our claim on England or... oppose my father and the Vatican, for the sake of what we believe is just for our populace," Francis declared.