CHAPTER 1: A WONDERFUL LIFE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                          THE EYES 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER: 1 

--A WONDERFUL LIFE--

It is a sunny day in my father’s ranch somewhere in the plains of Dallas; I am sitting beside an old sturdy acacia tree and the sweet scent of the wind covers my face, I was thinking of how good it is to be on a ranch rather than to live on the city. It’s summer break, me and my father decide to go to the ranch to have some fun; Well at least I’m enjoying the scenic view of a ranch and it is wonderful, no car horning, no people shouting, no siren of ambulances, no freaking punks running for their lives; Here I only hear the sound of the wind, the cows howl, pigs whimper and horseshoe stomping on the grass. Suddenly I get so sleepy; maybe because of a hard day’s work of milking a cow; I closed my eyes and let myself fall to sleep; But I was waked by my father’s loud voice calling me out of nowhere.

“Mike! C’mon here I’m going to teach you how to lure a fish.”

“Dad? Would it be boring? I’m fine here just resting while the day passes by.”

“Don’t just sit there and let the crows feed on your flesh, let’s go to the lake because if you don’t you will not have a delicious dinner and I will let you eat on those chicken feeds on the coop.”

“Wait I’m coming! (I’ve got no choice!).”

I ran to him and gather equipments for fishing; I hope this will not be boring like playing chess alone in my house. Then we get to my father’s truck and went to the lake.

The lake seems to be a hidden treasure of this part of the ranch, its water is so clear; I think we might able to catch many fish here. Some forest trees are also here covering the mouth of the lake , I see horses drinking the serene water. Then we set off sail in the middle of the lake using my dad’s little boat.

“Here we are child, have fun catching fish. Here’s some bait.”

(Then we start casting our fishing rod)

“Ok. Dad, are you longing for mom?”

“(Laughs) Actually, No.”

“Why? Is there something wrong?”

“Oh never mind it Mike, Your mother is a big girl she can take of herself in our home.”

“Yeah I know that (sighs).”

“Why? You miss your mother?”

“Hmm No. I’m just asking a question, and hoping for a formidable answer.”

“(Laughs harder) Don’t you have a girlfriend? You’re now 18 and you don’t have any?”

“(Sighs much deeper) I am the one who’s asking questions.”

“You know child, life is just like fishing.”

“Huh? Catching life in a bait? Oh I’ll take it for granted.”

“(Laughs lower) Seriously child, Just put on your best bait and let it lure some great opportunities for you. I’m proud of you son. I hope you can catch the biggest opportunities in your lake of life. Well, I’m getting older and you too. You must step higher off the ground and let no one pull you down.”

“Thanks Dad. I Mike Vixen, promise to my dad that he will be the best dad in the world.”

“(Laughs louder) Enough said boy. We are here to catch fish for our dinner and not to shed our tears here.(Laughter fades)”

Then hours pass and the darkness covers the sky; we decided to go to my father’s house just some couple of steps away from the big old acacia tree. We grilled some trout and save some for my mother. We ate them with rice and coffee. My father is just like any fathers in the world but he is the best for me, he gives me always advices to correct the path of my life. Tomorrow we will get back to the city because next week is my first day of classes of being a college student.

The night seems to be longer, I’m going to miss this place and also the lake.