2. - OLIVIA, NOT OLI

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Olivia quickly arrived at the welcome party committee meeting, clutching the thermos in her arms as if her life depended on it.

The girls asked her questions about her behavior, which she decided to ignore, still in shock.

So Ruby, receiving no answers, began to explain details of the party while Kieran handed out cupcakes.

Olivia leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms, dealing with mixed feelings about what she had seen. She feared that if Lydia's situation was discovered, she would be involved in the scandal, ruining her reputation and her chances of being accepted into any university, especially Oxford, her dream.

Everything around her became blurry as she imagined scenarios where she was rejected by Oxford. But reality returned when Ruby kicked her foot. Olivia, confused, did not protest, even when Ruby sat next to her, brushing her legs against hers.

"What?"

"James Beaufort is looking at you." whispered Ruby, trying to be discreet, although it was hard to ignore James when he entered a place. However, this time, not all eyes were on him; they were also watching Olivia, who was the sole focus of the blue-eyed blonde.

"What, not true." Olivia said stunned, not wanting to move a muscle. James Beaufort had come directly towards her, probably Lydia had told him something.

"Yes, he just entered and is coming this way." expressed Ruby, equally confused about what James wanted with her best friend.

Olivia looked up and met Lin's surprised gaze, who gestured for her to look around and see James, but she refused, pretending nothing was happening around her, while her heart raced.

Someone moved the chair next to Olivia and sat down. At that moment, she knew she could no longer ignore Beaufort, especially when he addressed her with a serious:

"Hello.

Olivia turned slowly, like a robot, and her green eyes met James's blue ones.

After what seemed like an eternity, although it was only a few seconds, Olivia feigned bewilderment, swallowed, and looked at Ruby and Lin, ignoring the stares of her classmates.

James smiled at Olivia's nervousness, but quickly became serious again.

"Can I borrow your friend for a while?"  he asked without taking his eyes off the girl

"What?" asked Kieran, adjusting his glasses.

"The one who ignores me, the one who is closing her eyes as if she wanted to disappear." he pointed to Olivia, who was shrinking in her chair.

"Oli, he has something to talk to you about?" ask Ruby, putting a hand on her friend's shoulder.

"No. I don't even know him." Olivia quickly replied.

"Oh my God! Everyone knows James Beaufort." commented a girl, looking at James with adoring eyes, although he paid her no attention and kept his gaze fixed on those green eyes.

Olivia sighed and stood up, determined to talk to James and tell him she wouldn't say anything, as it wasn't her problem, and she hoped he would leave her alone. Just like that.

"Fine, I'll go for a second." she said, taking her things.

James stood up and walked towards the exit, followed by Olivia to an empty room.

<>

OLIVIA

When we were alone, James was the first to speak.

"Oli, that's your name, right?"

"Olivia, not Oli." I clarified immediately

"Of course, I knew it was something with an O. You know who I am."

"No." I denied, although obviously, I knew who James was; I just wanted to avoid the whole mess "And I don't want to be rude, but I'm not interested in knowing who you are. If that's all, I better go." I said, turning around, but James grabbed my arm, stopping me.

"I know you know me, I'm Lydia's brother. She's in your philosophy class."

I look into his eyes and then at his hand that was still on my arm, to which he noticed and slowly lets go of me.

"So, what do you want? If it's about...

"I want you to take this." said James, taking some bills out of his pocket and putting them in my hand "And remember what you saw in Sutton's office never happened"

I looked from the money to James, indignant at the situation. He thought I would be silenced by money, I don't have to be silence cause it none of my business what his sister or he does. I don't give a shit.

"Do you want more? Because if so, I'll give it to you." James took out more money "We won't go higher than $10,000. Keep quiet until till year's end, and I'll double it."

I came out of my shock and laughed incredulously. I hated not having knocked on the door and hated Mr. Sutton even more; he was an adult and knew what was right and wrong. What he did with Lydia at a school was unacceptable.

"Wow! You're even more despicable than I thought. You and your sister have no respect." I said, pushing the money against James's chest, ready to leave now. But he stopped me again. His hand against mine felt weird, his was more bigger than mine

"We're not finished yet.

"What else do you have to offer me?" I asked sarcastically removing my hand from his, since apparently he had no intention of letting go

"I have a lot to offer you, Oli."

"Olivia, not Oli." I remarked again

"It doesn't matter. Tell me what you want, and I'll give it to you."

"I don't need anything from you, Beaufort." I spat out

"I know you need the money, Oli. Maybe for a new uniform, some shoes...

"If I want something, I work to earn it. You wouldn't understand, since I imagine you've never had to lift a finger." I interrupted him "So take your father's money and use it to buy yourself a brain, Beaufort, or whatever your name is."

"Are you serious?" James asked arrogantly.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" I replied, while he looked at me with a mocking smile.

For James, that money meant nothing, but for me, it was a dream. I could buy my own house and live with my grandmother; I had worked two years for it and still hadn't reached half the money needed.

It was unfair. The more I looked at him, the angrier I got. I don't know at what moment my fingers started to tighten around the money. I clenched my teeth and opened the paper band that held the package.

I just watched as James frowned.

"Oli..."

I raised my hand and threw the money into the air. James watched stoically, the only reaction was the throbbing muscle of his jaw. As the bills slowly fell to the ground, I turned around and finally left, exhaling the held breath.

The phone in my backpack rang, signaling that the meeting was over and that I had to go to work at the bookstore, which was next to Ruby's job.

I just hope I don't have another encounter with the Beauforts.
.....................................................................

Olivia, how do I tell you, that you will have more encounters with James.

How are you finding this fanfic?

Don't forget to vote and comment.