3. - AGAIN, YOU, BEAUFORT?

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

OLIVIA

The next day, I woke up with a slight headache. The night before, after coming home from work, Ruby bombarded me with questions that I managed to evade by promising to tell her everything the next day.

So, when we met in the morning, I could see in her gaze that she was ready for a full interrogation, which I again managed to dodge.

But as we got off in front of Maxton Hall, I knew I couldn't keep evading the subject, as her hand took my arm, stopping me with a serious look.

"Are you finally going to explain to me what's going on with James?"

I sighed, resigned. "That's the problem, nothing is going on with him, to begin with, I don't even know him."

"So, why did he look for you yesterday?"

I swallowed hard, raising an eyebrow. - A work from class." I lied, not wanting to involve her in all this mess and have her also be affected in her entry to Oxford.

"A work for class?

"Yes, Ruby, a job, damn it, what does it matter to you!l I exclaimed, tired of talking about Beaufort.

"I... - she stammered, making me feel guilty.

"Sorry, it's just the same questions and I have a bit of a headache.

"You're right, I just wanted to know if you guys..." she fell silent and began to move her hands frantically.

"Us?"

"Yes, are you guys dating or something?" she looked away.

I stood in front of her and took her by the shoulders. "We have nothing, absolutely nothing. So let's leave that topic aside, when I'm with someone, you'll be the first to know, and you know it."

"Ok, sorry for insisting."

It's normal, friends are very nosy." I joked, giving her a little push.

But Ruby didn't find it funny; instead of smiling, she made a face that she didn't even try to hide. "Yes." she adjusted her backpack to start walking into the institute.

"What's wrong?" I followed her, positioning myself by her side again.

"Are you going to interrogate me now?" she asked sarcastically.

"Hey, Ruby, I'm nosy too." I tried to joke, but she didn't find it funny, she didn't even look at me. "Ruby..." I grabbed her arm, stopping her; she kept looking straight ahead, so I called her again. "Ruby, what's wrong?...

"I have to go, I have something to hand..."

"Ruby..." My tone sounded like a warning, and I think she understood, so she turned to look at me. "Something's wrong with you."