Chapter 3 - They met

Athena's family arrived at Mary's estate, a grandiose mansion that reeked of wealth and tradition. As they entered the opulent dining room, Athena's heart sank. This was exactly what she had feared - being trapped in a world of luxury and expectation.

Mary greeted them with a warm smile, her eyes gleaming with satisfaction. "Welcome, dear family. I'm so glad you could join us tonight."

As they took their seats, Athena noticed Jackson watching her, his eyes lingering on hers with an intensity that made her uncomfortable. She turned away, focusing on the conversation around her.

Mary began to speak, her voice commanding attention. "I'm so thrilled to have you all here tonight. I think it's time we discussed the future of our families... and the union between Athena and Jackson."

Athena's mother, Lily, spoke up, her voice measured. "Mary, we appreciate your enthusiasm, but Athena has made it clear she's not interested in this arrangement."

Mary's expression turned icy. "Nonsense, Lily. This is a wonderful opportunity for both families. And Athena will come to see the wisdom in this union."

Athena's anger flared, her voice firm. "I won't be forced into a marriage I don't want, Mary. And I won't give up my dreams for your family's legacy."

The room fell silent, the tension palpable. Jackson's eyes met hers, a flicker of understanding there, but also a hint of disappointment. Mary's face turned red with anger, but she quickly composed herself.

"Well, let's not discuss this further tonight. We'll save it for another time... soon."

The rest of the dinner was strained, the conversation stilted. Athena felt trapped, suffocated by the weight of expectation and tradition. As they left the estate, she knew she had to take a stand, to fight for her freedom and her future. Little did she know, this was only the beginning of a long and difficult battle.

The next day, Athena walked down the street, lost in thought, when she collided with a tall figure. Apologetic, she looked up to meet the gaze of Jackson, his piercing blue eyes locking onto hers.

"Hey, watch where you're going," Jackson said with a chuckle, steadying her by the elbow.

Athena's cheeks flushed as she regained her balance. "Sorry, I was lost in thought."

Jackson's smile faltered for a moment, his eyes narrowing slightly. "Athena, right? We met at the family gathering last week."

Athena's heart skipped a beat. "Yes, that's right. Jackson, Mary's grandson."

Jackson's expression turned serious. "I've been wanting to talk to you, Athena. About our families' arrangement..."

Athena's guard went up, her voice firm. "I don't want to discuss it, Jackson. I've made it clear I'm not interested."

Jackson's eyes softened. "Please, Athena, just hear me out. I know this isn't ideal, but I want to get to know you, to make this work between us."

Athena's resolve wavered, his genuine tone disarming her. "Fine, Jackson. But just for a minute."

As they stood there, Athena felt a spark of connection, a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, this arranged marriage wouldn't be the prison she feared. But she knew she had to be cautious, to protect her heart and her dreams. Little did she know, this chance encounter would be the start of a complicated and passionate journey.

Athena's pov

As I walked away from the encounter with Jackson, I couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions. There was a sense of relief that I had stood up for myself and made my feelings clear, but also a hint of guilt for potentially hurting Jackson's feelings.