35

The conversation is interrupted by a cellphone ringing. Damien, his father, and Genie all check to see who's it is, realizing that it's Damien's father's. Mr. Fox checks the caller ID: McKay.

Why would he be calling me at this hour? He accepts the call and puts the phone to his ear. Before he can get any words out, he hears a muffled sob on the other line and his boss' voice. "Are your son and his girlfriend alright?" his eyes widen in surprise, and he looks over to Genie and Damien.

"Is it okay if I put you on speakerphone? I feel it would be better if you asked them yourself." Mr. McKay utters a small 'alright' before the cellphone is then put on speaker, making it to where all three of them can hear the clearly distraught man speaking on the other end. "Okay, we can all hear you now."

"Karol, she hasn't come home or answered her phone." Genie looks down at her now bandaged arms, teary eyed. Damien glances over at her before putting his arm around her shoulders to help comfort her.

All three hear some sniffles from Mr. McKay as he continues to speak. "She left a note that seemed like an apology to friends, but also a goodbye. I have no clue where she could be, but please. If any of you have a guess as to where she is, by all means tell me." he clears his throat and starts to read the letter to them.

"'To everyone I have hurt in my now 17 years of being on Earth, I am sorry. For all of it. I know that I do not deserve forgiveness. Especially from all of you. To my father, the only living family I have, I am sorry for not being appreciative of everything you have done for me over the years, for being anything but a 'perfect' daughter. Ester, I am sorry for being the worst best friend in existence to you, for hurting you just because you wanted to protect others, for treating you like nothing when I ended up finding out you were into girls and not guys. Miku, I am sorry for hurting everyone that you care deeply about. Shinji, I am sorry for hurting the love of your life. Jacob, I am sorry for everything that Charles has put you and your friends through, I know it should be him apologizing to you, but I will take responsibility for what he has done, because I know he never will. Damien, I am sorry for hurting the girl you love, for sending Charles as a distraction so I could get to her easier. Last but most certainty not least, Genevieve. I am sorry for every horrible, horrendous thing that I have ever done or said to you. You did not deserve any of it. I guess I did all those things because I was jealous of your kindness, your compassion, your caring personality. If I could go back and do things differently, I would in a heartbeat. I wish every one of you the best. -Kay'"

_______________

Shinji wakes first, the sun peeking through the blinds and partially illuminating the room. He slowly turns over and comes face to face with Jacob. He looks so peaceful right now.

A sad smile appears on Shinji's face. I wish I didn't have to leave the day after the summer formal. He holds back tears as he brings his hand to the older's cheek, causing Jake to smile and stir a little. I wish I could stay close to you for longer.

Jacob wraps one of his arms around Shinji's waist and opens his chestnut brown eyes. "No need to cry, Ji." He brings his free hand up to the younger's face to wipe the tears away with his thumbs before kissing the dark-haired boy's forehead.

"But..." Shinji closes his eyes, silent tears streaming down his now red cheeks. He can't seem to form a coherent sentence; the only thing Jake catches is the Japanese word for 'leave'.

"Shinji, babe. Look at me." the younger opens his dark eyes only to look away from him not a second later, choosing to stare blankly behind the older instead. He removes his arm from around him and brings his other hand to the boy's cheek, making Shinji face him again.

I will never leave you. "Ji, listen to me. I know you're worried about what will happen between us when you go back to Japan, but just know that the promise I made to you-" he removes one of his hands from Shinji's face and takes a hold of the younger's that has the ring on it, bringing the hand up and planting a kiss on the back of it.

Jacob stares into the dark orbs of the boy in front of him, not looking away for even a millisecond. "-it is not one that I intend to break. Even if we are thousands of miles apart, even if you somehow get tired of me."

Shinji laughs a little at the 'get tired of me', causing Jake to ruffle his dark hair before continuing. "The love I have for you will never go away, Ji." the younger smiles, his tears now dry, as he stares back into the soft, adoring gaze of the only person he will ever love more than anything in this world.

_______________

He brings his hand up to caress Jake's cheek, watching as he smiles and closes his eyes. "I wish I was as good with words as you. I wish I could tell you just how much you mean to me..." the older opens one of his eyes, his smile fading as he lifts an eyebrow.

"You show it most through your actions, babe." Jacob smiles again. "You are a man of few words, that lets his actions speak for him." he blinks his eye back closed and mumbles out the last sentence. "I love that about you..."

Shinji moves his hand to the back of Jake's head, his fingers tangling into his hair. "I love you, Jay. More than I could ever express in words." A sigh escapes from Jacob as the younger crashes his lips to his mouth, the kiss quickly becoming heated.

I will never get tired of you. This love that we have is like oxygen to me, Jake. If it were to ever go away, I would be dead inside. You are my soulmate. My forever.