36

I will never get tired of you. This love that we have is like oxygen to me, Jake. If it were to ever go away, I would be dead inside. You are my soulmate. My forever.

The call between Damien, his father, Genie, and Mr. McKay comes to an end shortly after the letter gets read out. After a few minutes, Mr. Fox walks out of the room, saying that he will be heading to bed.

As soon as the bedroom door closes, her mind goes back to last year and everything clicks. "I know where she is, Damien." Genie mumbles out, her eyes going hazy as she gets up and walks out of the room, down the stairs, and out of his house. I know exactly where she is, and I hope we aren't too late...

Genie doesn't hear him asking her to repeat what she said, or where they were heading. The only thing she can think about is that day; the day she almost saw her jump. She picks up her pace, full out sprinting and getting to the destination with Damien following behind.

_______________

Once they stop, Damien looks at her like she has gone mental. He then starts glancing around, noticing someone sitting on the edge of the bridge over the creek. A very familiar someone. "Is that..."

"Yes, that's her. I knew that she would be here..." Genie sees the familiar silhouette sitting on the edge of the bridge, her head down and staring into the water below. This feels like deja vu, like I'm in the same moment from last year.

Before she has a chance to say anything, she hears the other girl utter the word 'goodbye' and sees her start to lean forward. It all seems to happen in slow motion, and Genie cannot seem to get the words that she is screaming in her head to come out of her mouth. No, don't jump! Please...

_______________

Her platinum blonde hair whips around her tear-streaked face as she continues to stare down at the deep water below the bridge. The branches of the nearby cherry blossom trees, their leaves now colored green, sway in the harsh breeze blowing through the park nearest the high school. I wonder if any of them are looking for me. Would they even know where to find me?

She closes her eyes and moves a bit closer to the edge, taking a shaky breath into her lungs. No one will miss me, anyway. "Goodbye..."

She leans forward and starts to fall, until she feels an unfamiliar pair of arms wrapping around her to pull her back. Her eyes remain closed as she tries to wriggle free from their strong grasp. "Let me go, I need to do this... this is the only way to-"

"No, this is not the only way to solve your problem, or any for that matter. Stop." Damien continues to hold her against his chest, easily keeping her in place.

Her hazel eyes snap open. That accent, it can't be him. Why would he save me? Her thoughts are cut short when she sees Genie crouching down beside her, tears in her light green eyes. "Genevieve?" she whispers out.

She is brought back to that day, the day she had learned of her mother's passing. The worst day of my life. Her eyes start to tear up as well and she looks away, back at the water. The fight in her now gone as she slumps her shoulders with a defeated sigh.

_______________

"Don't do it, Karol. Please..." Genevieve takes the other girl's hand in hers, pulling her into a tight hug as Damien loosens his grip. "It isn't worth it. Even though you think that there is nobody that cares, there is always someone that does. Always."

Those are the same exact words she said to me the first time I attempted. Karol continues to stare out at the creek, tears falling from her face onto Genie's shoulder. "I... am so, so sorry. Every bad thing that I have said to you, every terrible thing that I have done to you, I'm sorry."

She sniffles and looks at them both, a determined look in her eyes now. "I am turning myself over to the police for what I did to you and Jacob, Genie." she lets out a breath before continuing on.

"I will also take responsibility for what Charles might have done as well. From what I heard, though, he got his butt handed to him by Shinji before he could even do anything." she laughs a little after saying the words, a small smile gracing her usually stoic features.

_______________

The smile quickly drops as she wraps her arms around Genie, tightening the hug for a few seconds before letting go. She stands up, dusting off her clothes. "Can you two walk me to the police station, please? If that isn't too much to ask..." her gaze travels to the ground.

They both nod their heads at the same time and stand up as well, still somewhat stunned at her saying that she was turning herself in. Genie grabs Karol's hand again and gestures at Damien to take the other. As soon as he grabs her hand, Genevieve starts moving forward.

All three of them stay silent during the twenty minutes or so that it takes to get to their destination. They drop her off at the front doors of the station. Damien and Genie give her a small nod and smile before turning around to head back home, Genevieve glancing over her shoulder to mouth the words 'I forgive you, Kay.'

Karol mouths back a 'thank you' before opening the door and telling the whole story of what she had done the day before. Even giving them the weapon she used. As the officers lead her to a holding cell, only one thing is on Karol's mind.

Sorry is not enough payment for everything that I have done. Turning myself over to the police is the way I will pay for it all. Thank you for forgiving me, Genevieve.  Thank you...