Chapter 3: On Safari

Winston-Winslow. Tuesday, April 8, 2008.

"You're sure you don't mind?" Peter asked when Neal arrived at his office. "I can't help feeling I should be the one assisting Jones and Anna."

Neal frowned at him. "Leave El and Danny when Sara and I will be there anyway? On what planet would that be logical? Sara's excited to participate but from what she told me, our role may not even materialize." He swung into a side chair. "If I were in your position, I wouldn't want to travel either."

"Is that why you and Sara planned this trip? Check it off your bucket list before you have kids?" Peter had been surprised when he heard that Neal and Sara intended to vacation in Africa. What with all the other traveling they were doing, taking a break to go on safari seemed out of character.

"We realize we won't want to travel as much when we have little ones at home," Neal said, not answering him directly. "At least not until they're old enough to appreciate the experience. I'm glad though that Jones doesn't need us in Cape Town immediately. I couldn't leave my students during the final week of frenzied preparations. The opening reception for the Visual Arts exhibitions is on Friday evening."

"Only a year ago you were on the other side."

"You don't need to remind me. Yesterday, Sara and I got together with Aidan, Keiko, Richard, and Travis to reminisce about those panicked-filled days and sleepless nights."

"I bet you also toasted the return of the emerald ring to the Met."

Neal smiled. "You need to celebrate your victories when you get them. I met Martine at the museum on Saturday morning. It wasn't as satisfying as it could be. We didn't catch the thief, but on the positive side, the Egyptian Museum has secured funding to upgrade their security. A team from Interpol will assist them."

"Will Marcel and Klaus be on the team?" The art crimes task force had put together a package of best practice security measures for museums to follow. Neal had been heavily involved in the compilation.

"Most likely." Neal smiled. "I'm told their dog-and-pony show is almost as good as ours. While I was in Cairo, I spoke at length with their investigators. I'm happy to report that Egypt will designate a permanent task force member."

"That's great news. You mentioned that Raquel provided key assistance ... Do I want to know what you needed to do in exchange?"

Neal laughed. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me."

"All right. She wanted me to pass along a favorable report to Vanya Sherkov." Neal lowered his voice. "You see, they've become an item."

When Peter retrieved his jaw from the floor, his first thought was to ask, "Aren't you worried about what con she's running?"

Neal took a slow breath. "Raquel is many things but a con artist isn't one of them. She convinced me her feelings are genuine, but Vanya's never spoken about her to me. I met with him this morning before coming to the office. He's still playing it close to the vest."

"How did you handle it?"

"Discussing the emerald was easy. Martine had approached him before coming to see me. It was natural to update him on the success. I simply mentioned that Raquel's knowledge of jewelry buyers was invaluable. He may suspect that she talked about him to me but I didn't mention it." Neal grinned. "Sara said their situation reminded her of when we were conning everyone to believe we weren't dating. If Vanya's not ready to go public, I'm certainly not going to say anything. I like Raquel. I like Vanya. What happens is their business."

Peter detected a hint of defensiveness in Neal's voice. It probably hadn't been an easy decision to make. But Klaus had made a fresh start. Alex now had a legitimate job. Perhaps this odd couple had a chance too.