Scars | Comics!Jason

Jason carries the weight of every horrible, traumatic, and agonizing event that's ever happened to him across his body, etched in pale and raised lines across him like a used roadmap

Jason carries the weight of every horrible, traumatic, and agonizing event that's ever happened to him across his body, etched in pale and raised lines across him like a used roadmap. He wears them as cruel reminders that this life is unfair and unjust, even when he tries his hardest to make it so. There are some he pays no mind to, and doesn't even really notice most days because they are there. That's that. But, there are others...there are others he looks at as a punishment for everything he's ever done and everything he never was and could never be. They're reminders, laughing back at him every day, a sinister echo of his mistakes.

Most days, he tries to pay them no mind, either.

You're sitting on your knees right beside Jason, his side pressed against the bare skin of your calf. Your eyes are trained on his exposed abdomen, showcasing the scars and cuts and bruises he's collected over the last few years.

It wasn't that seeing his body covered in new and old injuries was jarring. That was mostly fine. After the first few weeks of being friends, it stopped being jarring because that's just how it is with Jason. He gets hurt sometimes. It comes with the job and you accept that part of him. The bruises and cuts were very rarely ever jarring. The other scars were never really jarring because of course he has them. That always made sense to you. It's the autopsy scar that is jarring.

With the others, he'd told you it comes with the job and then he'd watch your face contort into a scrunch of worry and paranoia over his well-being, something he doesn't think he deserves most days. When the comment didn't ease your worry, he'd kiss you and give his signature cocky grin, a silent promise that he's fine and the conversation would end. The autopsy scar conversation is never so simple.

You knew he died because he told you not long before you made things official. You knew the story about the Joker and his mom. He told you of the horrid night and bits of pieces of the after. But this is your first time seeing the physical damage of the night that still wakes him up in the middle of the night. Your chest aches for him and it's jarring because he did die and he has to carry that kind of weight forever, something you'll swear until the day you die he doesn't deserve.

With delicate fingers, you trace over the long line of the autopsy scar, Jason's eyes glancing from your hand to your face. His stomach tenses with the movement and you can't tell if it's because your hands are cold, it tickles, or he's uncomfortable. If you know Jason, you're kind of figuring it's the third option. So, you glance back to him, chewing the inside of your cheek.

"This okay?" You ask softly.

"It's fine." Jason answers, his thumb lightly brushing over your thigh furthest away from him. "Bother you?"

Jason has been cautious not to show you because he knows how he feels about it. He knows that you worry. Seeing some sort of proof of death seems like it might send you spiraling into some sort of tornado of worry until you spin too far away from him. He's been cautious because he adores you and he doesn't want to lose you and he doesn't want it scare you.