Chapter 2 - Unraveling Prophecies

*Kore (Persephone)*

I came into being in the mortal realm, a place that rarely saw me venture beyond its boundaries, especially to Olympus. In my entire existence, I had graced Olympus only twice. The first occasion occurred during my childhood when my mother sought Aphrodite's blessing for me, an enchantment to bestow upon me the gift of beauty. Although I was a mere child at the time, the memories of that visit were faint, as if veiled by the mists of time.

The second journey to Olympus was prompted by my mother's desire for me to embrace a lifetime of maidenhood. A pivotal meeting unfolded, attended by my mother, Hestia, Athena, Artemis, and myself. Despite the gravity of the situation, I had yet to take the vow, and Athena, attuned to my discomfort, granted me the time to deliberate before committing to a life alongside her and the others.

In the course of these visits, I encountered numerous gods. Hera, for instance, welcomed me during the blessing ceremony with Aphrodite. It was also during these visits that I crossed paths with my father, a meeting my mother chose to overlook. His demeanor, upon meeting me, seemed more tinged with disappointment than anger, leaving an indelible mark on our initial interaction.

Approaching the golden gates of Olympus, my mother offered a cautionary word, "Remember, be cautious in your words when conversing with him. He believes he holds dominion over us, having defeated our father, Cronos. Stand your ground, but approach with respect; his temper is well-known." I sensed the trepidation in her voice, a quiet fear that lingered.

As we soared toward Zeus's palace, a grand structure akin to a colossal mountain, the brilliance of marble and gold nearly overwhelmed the senses. The luxuriousness of Olympus was striking, a testament to the might of the gods.

Stepping into the expansive throne room for the first time, I marveled at its size. Two imposing thrones stood at the farthest reaches from the entrance we had just traversed. One, notably larger, undoubtedly belonged to Zeus, the paramount god. The other, slightly smaller, presumably was reserved for Hera, his consort. The significance of the moment was not lost on me, standing amidst the grandeur of the divine realm.

Drawing nearer to the palace, the echo of footsteps behind me prompted a turn, revealing a woman adorned in a resplendent golden dress with accents of deep blue. Her meticulously arranged hair stood in contrast to my own less refined locks. "Hera, it has been a while," my mother exclaimed, to which the woman replied with a simple, "Sister."

I recalled Hera from my childhood, during the time Aphrodite bestowed upon me the gift of beauty. "Persephone!" Her attention shifted to me, and with genuine warmth, she remarked, "You have grown quite a bit." The use of my given name, Persephone, by Hera brought a genuine smile to my face—a rarity, as most refrained from using it since the Fates named me Kore.

However, my mother, sensing the imminent arrival of Zeus, strategically placed herself in front of me, shielding me from Hera's line of sight. A tension hung in the air as my mother inquired about Zeus's whereabouts. Hera, seemingly unruffled, responded, "He's... on his way. I hope." The anticipation was punctuated by a sudden bang, and Zeus made a grand entrance. Towering over us, as was characteristic of Greek gods, Zeus's dark brown hair and robust physique commanded attention.

Ignoring my presence entirely, Zeus addressed my mother with an exclamation of, "Demeter! Perfect!" Unperturbed, my mother, adopting a sharp tone, demanded, "What is it you want? Why call us here?" The atmosphere tensed further when a beardless youth, with long dark hair and a lyre strapped to his back, strolled in behind Zeus. His gaze bore into me with a malevolence that sent discomfort coursing through my spine. Sensing my unease, Hera positioned herself beside me, offering a protective hand as we confronted the ominous figure in our midst.