Chapter 5 - Bonds form in shadow

*Kore (Persephone)*

Aidoneus graciously guided me through the palace, the dimly lit corridors casting eerie shadows around us. Surprisingly, we didn't cross paths with the ruler of the underworld himself, Hades, or any other beings except for the shades that served him. The whispers of the departed echoed through the halls, adding to the somber atmosphere of the underworld.

As we walked, Aidoneus introduced me to another servant named Lyca, a ghostly figure who seemed to glide effortlessly through the darkness. Lyca informed me that Hades was currently in the company of a woman, confirming my suspicions about his penchant for romantic affairs. The underworld, already shrouded in mystery and intrigue, seemed to grow darker by the minute.

Feeling a sense of trepidation but also a strange fascination with this realm, I asked Aidoneus if I could wait until Hades arrived. The thought of staying in the underworld, even temporarily, felt like an escape from the constraints imposed by my parents. Being a part of this shadowy world seemed like the key to my freedom, a chance to carve out my own path away from the expectations of Olympus.

"Here we are, one of the finest guest rooms in the underworld," Aidoneus proudly announced as he opened the door, gesturing for me to enter. And indeed, he was right; it was truly one of the most exquisite rooms I had ever laid eyes upon. The bed was elegantly positioned in a cozy corner, bathed in soft, dim lighting. The furniture, with its dark hues, added to the room's mysterious allure, while even the dark plants hanging near the window seemed to contribute to the overall aesthetic.

As I stepped further into the room, I couldn't help but marvel at the attention to detail. Everything I could possibly need was already laid out—a fresh set of clean clothes neatly arranged on the bed, and the sound of a bath bubbling invitingly from the adjoining room. Despite the somber color scheme, the room emitted a pleasant aroma, hinting at the presence of fragrant herbs or flowers carefully placed throughout.

Gently rousing from sleep, I found myself cocooned in the warmth of Aidoneus's cloak, its fabric enveloping me like a protective shroud against the chill of the underworld. As I stirred, my eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the dimly lit surroundings of the guest room.

Carefully, I adorned the white and black dress that lay beside me, its loose and modest design adding to its allure. Having my own space in the underworld, even if just temporarily, was a luxury I hadn't anticipated. The sheets on the bed provided comfort as I sank into contemplation, thoughts swirling amidst the whispers of the shadows that danced on the walls.

Reflecting on the misconceptions circulating in the mortal realm, particularly the rumors about Hades having slaves or the inhospitable nature of his palace, I realized that reality, as witnessed through the dedicated service of Aidoneus and Lyca, painted a starkly different picture. Hades appeared to be a just and capable ruler, and I found solace in dispelling these unfounded myths.

Yet, as I stretched and prepared to greet the day, a sudden draft brushed against my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. Instinctively, I reached for Aidoneus's cloak, wrapping it around me for warmth. As I stood, a strange sensation of being observed crept over me, a presence lingering in the air like an unspoken whisper.

Recalling Lyca's vigilant presence, I hesitated before softly uttering, "Is anyone there?" In a swift transformation, a shadow materialized into the form of a human-like figure—Lyca. Her respectful bow was accompanied by an apology for the perceived intrusion. Despite her politeness, an underlying tension in her tone hinted at something more urgent as she conveyed that the King desired my presence as soon as I woke.

Hades wished to meet me, and as his guest, I recognized the importance of formally introducing myself. Yet, I hesitated, contemplating the potential consequences of disclosing my actual name to him. I had refrained from sharing the name "Persephone" with Aidoneus, fearing its association with the ominous title "Bringer of Death" might cause unnecessary alarm.