chapter five

October 1991

One day, roughly two months after her arrival, and on the day of Halloween, Callie had settled in more. She thought it was fine whenever Zabini waited in the common room for her to join him at breakfast, even if that meant his blonde best friend standing next to him with an annoyed grimace. 

She had noticed quickly that Malfoy wasn't exactly fond of her, but Callie cared little, since it was out of his desperate wish for the high respect and fear from the younger students he normally got to enjoy. Her parents had told her about Narcissas' and Lucius' son before her arrival,  but she had expected to see a noble man, not a little boy. His hair was ash blond, even blonder than those of his father, his face pale, equally as pale as that of his father, but he was tall, and slightly less cruel. Still, whenever he walked around the castle, he looked as if the whole school smelled bad to him; as if everyone around him was a real nuisance.

If arrogance had a name, it would be painted red with his.

They would ignore each other as good as possible, but the tension was quite noticeable whenever the two sat in one room. Callie endured him because of their family relation and similarities; Draco soon felt like he had no other choice. At first, it was odd to both of them how they couldn't stand each other from the first minute, but now, two months after her arrival, they had accepted each other's distrust. If it was not to explain, it was to be accepted, at least. There was one real advantage of having her by his side, Draco believed. Students had always quickly stepped aside when him and his friends approached; now, they ran away. She did have that effect and it lowered his dissatisfaction a bit; she was still a grand addition to the Slytherins.

Today was the morning of Halloween, yet so far no one seemed to be settled in the right mood.

'Lupin must be mad if he expects us to do all this work until next lesson.', Zabini groaned annoyed as him and Draco entered the library.

Some students looked at them suspiciously, but didn't dare to say a word despite his highly raised voice.

'It's almost amusing how Hogwarts isn't capable of employing a decent teacher each year.', Draco mumbled, taking his seat further away from the mass of students.

'I heard he's sick again.', Zabini scoffed.

'Not a surprise, I'd be too if it meant to get out of class.' Draco mumbled, but his eyes had already landed on another person in the left corner of the big library, alone, 'And she really is always studying, isn't she?'

He nodded in Michon's direction.

The girl had book after book scattered around her as per usual. She occupied one large table for herself and seemed rather concentrated, not having taken in the presence of the two Slytherin boys nearby. No student needed to study as much unless they prepared for war. And her lower lip stuck out a bit, eyes scanning the page of a book.

'Let's join her.'

Zabini didn't even let Draco start to protest, for he already walked up to Michon, who scribbled something on a piece of parchment. He watched the two exchange a few words before sighing annoyed and joining them as well. She was smart; maybe he'd get some help out of her.

'I just find it interesting.', he heard Michon say as he sat down next to Zabini.

She didn't even acknowledge him.

'What?', he spat out and crossed his arms while leaning back on his chair.

'Morning to you too, Malfoy.', she said, finally looking at him, but he couldn't find anything close to delight in her eyes at seeing him.