PROMISE Coco Cruz (1/1)

summary
johnny and leanna, best friends for the last decade, made a promise to each other years ago that if they both weren't married in ten years, they'd marry each other. now the date is closing in, and only one of them believes the promise was more than just a joke.

asha banks as LEANNA DELOSA

"someone i loved once gave me a box full of darkness. it took me years to understand that this, too was a gift."
| mary oliver |

richard cabral as JOHNNY "COCO" CRUZ

"i am the designer of my own catastrophe."
| author unknown |

"| author unknown |

LEANNA

The hot sand crunched under Leanna's boots as she walked down the road toward town. She didn't have a car, didn't make enough money for one, and her house was a mile from town, so anytime she wanted to get out, she had to hoof it. It was hot out, well over ninety degrees, but she'd lived on the outskirts of Santo Padre her entire life. The heat didn't bother her much anymore.

She couldn't stop thinking about Johnny, about her best friend.

He was fucked up, she reminded herself. Johnny didn't mean any of the nonsense he'd been spewing. He was drunk and upset when he said what he said, and did what he did. What both of them did. He was slurring words that made her chest tighten because they couldn't be true. They couldn't because that would cross a line, a line he knew better than to even look at.

Somehow along the course of their friendship, they'd silently agreed not to let physical urges come between them. Both of them were damaged, tired, and looking for safety in other people. That's what they were to one another—safety. Friends were all they could be because the moment sex became a part of the equation, everything got more complicated. And complicated Leanna couldn't do. But last night Johnny opened his mouth and broke all of the rules, but she wasn't innocent. Everything they did, she'd asked for. She was just as much to blame, and she hated herself for it. Hated herself for hurting him just like she always knew she would someday.