Chapter 10: The Shadow's Grip

Seraphina's hands ached from the effort of working the ropes binding her wrists. She had been tirelessly rubbing the coarse fibers against the sharp edge of the chair for what felt like hours. Each passing minute fueled her determination. She had to find a way to escape.

As she worked, her thoughts raced. What if Alexander and Father don't find me in time? I have to get out of here myself. I can't rely solely on them. She gritted her teeth against the pain. The rope finally began to fray. With a final, desperate pull, it snapped.

Her hands now free, Seraphina quickly untied her feet and stood up, her legs wobbly but filled with resolve. She moved cautiously to the door, pressing her ear against it. She could hear muffled voices but couldn't make out what they were saying. Taking a deep breath, she turned the handle slowly, praying it wasn't locked.

To her relief, the door creaked open. She peered into the dimly lit corridor, empty for the moment. Stealthily, she slipped out, her heart pounding in her chest. She had no clear plan, only the burning need to get away from this place.

Navigating through the maze of corridors, she tried to remember the path Lucien had taken when he brought her here. Every corner she turned, every shadow she passed, she expected to be caught. But she pressed on, driven by the hope of freedom.

As she reached a fork in the hallway, she chose the left path, leading to what looked like a storage area. The air was damp and musty, the walls lined with old crates and barrels. She found a small window, its iron bars rusted and loose. With some effort, she managed to pry one bar free, just enough to squeeze through.

Her heart raced with a mix of fear and excitement as she climbed out. She dropped to the ground below, the cool night air filling her lungs. But before she could take a step, a hand clamped over her mouth, and another grabbed her arm.

"Thought you could escape, did you?" a gruff voice hissed in her ear.

Seraphina struggled, but the man's grip was too strong. He dragged her back towards the stronghold, her freedom slipping away with each step. She was thrust back into the room, her escape attempt cut short.

Lucien entered moments later, his eyes cold and furious. "I see you've been busy, Princess," he said, his voice dripping with menace. "Did you really think you could get away so easily?"

Seraphina glared at him, defiance burning in her eyes. "I will never stop trying to escape. You can't keep me here forever."

Lucien's lips curled into a cruel smile. "You're right. I can't keep you here forever. But I can make sure you won't try to run again."

Before Seraphina could react, Lucien drew a knife from his belt and slashed at her legs. She screamed in pain as the blade cut deep, her legs giving out beneath her. Blood soaked through her dress, and she collapsed to the floor, tears streaming down her face.

Lucien knelt beside her, his face inches from hers. "Consider this a lesson in obedience. Next time you think of escaping, remember this pain."

Seraphina sobbed, the agony overwhelming her. She had never felt so helpless, so defeated. As Lucien stood and left the room, the door slamming shut behind him, she curled into a ball, her body wracked with pain and despair.

Back at the palace, Alexander was preparing for the rescue mission. He couldn't shake the uneasy feeling gnawing at him. Something felt terribly wrong, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

Just as he was about to voice his concerns, King Aldric approached him, a solemn expression on his face. "Alexander, my son," he began, placing a hand on Alexander's shoulder. "I want you to know that I have complete faith in you. You will find Seraphina and bring her back safely. The entire kingdom is counting on you."

Alexander nodded, trying to push aside his fears. "Thank you, Father. I won't let you down. I promise to bring her back."

King Aldric's eyes softened with a rare show of emotion. "I know you will. Remember, you have the strength and wisdom of our ancestors guiding you. Trust in yourself."

"May the gods watch over you, my son. May you find the strength and courage needed to overcome this darkness. Bring Seraphina home."

Alexander bowed his head. "Thank you, Father. I will do everything in my power to bring her back."

With the king's blessing, Alexander mounted his horse once more. The team set off, galloping through the palace gates and into the night. But as they rode, the nagging feeling of dread in Alexander's heart only grew stronger.

Back in her prison, Seraphina struggled to sit up. The pain in her legs was unbearable, but she couldn't afford to lie still. She had to find a way to escape, to warn her family. She looked around the room, searching for anything that could help her.

Her eyes fell on the discarded ropes that had bound her wrists. She grabbed them, her mind racing with ideas. If I can just get to the door and surprise the next guard who comes in...

But before she could formulate a plan, the door opened again. Lucien entered, his eyes narrowing as he saw her with the ropes in her hands.

"Planning another escape, are we?" he sneered, stepping closer.

Seraphina didn't respond. Instead, she lunged at him, using the ropes as a makeshift weapon. But her injuries slowed her down, and Lucien easily overpowered her, throwing her back to the floor.

"You never learn, do you?" he hissed, his face inches from hers. "This will be your final warning."

With a swift motion, he slashed at her legs again, this time with more force. Seraphina screamed in agony, the pain overwhelming her. Tears streamed down her face as she lay helpless on the floor.

Lucien stood over her, his expression cold and unfeeling. "Remember this pain, Princess. Every time you think of escaping, remember what happens when you defy me."

He turned and left, the door slamming shut with a finality that echoed through the room. Seraphina sobbed, her body wracked with pain and despair. But even in her darkest moment, a flicker of hope remained. She knew that Alexander would come for her, and she had to hold on until he did.

Meanwhile, Alexander and his team rode through the night, the wind whipping through their hair. As they approached the Blackwood Marshes, the sense of dread in Alexander's heart grew stronger. He couldn't shake the feeling that Seraphina was in immediate danger.

"Alexander," one of his men called out. "We're nearing the marshes. Should we split up to cover more ground?"

Alexander shook his head. "No, we stay together. We can't afford to be separated in this terrain. We move as one unit."

As they pressed on, Alexander felt a sudden, sharp pang in his chest. It was as if he could feel Seraphina's pain, her fear. He gripped the reins tightly, his resolve hardening.

I'm coming, Seraphina, he thought. Hold on just a little longer.

The team continued their journey, unaware that they were heading into a trap. But Alexander's bond with his sister was strong, and he would stop at nothing to save her. The shadows of the night were closing in, but he was determined to bring his sister back into the light.

~~~