Chapter Five

The doorbell rings, and I walk towards it-flinging it open to see Nara walking inside with a bright smile

The doorbell rings, and I walk towards it-flinging it open to see Nara walking inside with a bright smile. "Oh, you got it?" she raises the two bottles of champagne in her hands and a bunch of snacks in the other, she slides her shoes off as we head back into the kitchen where i was cooking dinner.

"I had a fucking day." Nara whispers, i reach the stove, adding seasoning to my pasta sauce.

"What do you mean?" I ask her, watching as she pours the champagne into two glasses. She slides one over to me, and i lift it up.

"I mean, another angry parent came to my workplace." This was normal for Nara, the receptionist at the old hospital i was working at was giving my information for money, I need to make sure to have a talk with her. "But this one was different."

My brows furrow, "what do you mean?"

"I mean, his daughter was five years old, and he was distraught, like really-tired?" she waves a hand around her face.

"So are all the other parents Nara." I sip my wine, the sound of sauce bubbling behind me. Nara sighs, scratching the tip of her glass. "What?"

"He said a few things about you but-"

"What did he say?"

He probably called me a bitch.

They all do.

"He told me to tell you that you're selfish," heard that one before, parents are angry at me, they hate me. I get it, and I don't blame them. "That you're sitting on knowledge that could save lives. Phia, he was different."

I look inside the glass of wine, swirling it in my hands as I turn back to the stove. I knew where the man was coming from, but he doesn't know where i am coming from. Staying away from the hospital is better for me, it was tiring, exhausting and something that, to be honest, scarred me. My parents offering me to live with them was the best thing they have done, otherwise i would have ended up in a place that wasn't good for my liking.

"Phia, why don't you...take this one on?"

"I can't Nara, you know why."

"I know but maybe having something to take your mind of things, maybe-this is a chance to do one more good thing before you give up fully."

She slides a black card across the counter, and I take it from her. "His name is-"

"Nathaniel Reid." I whisper, filling in the gap, mostly in shock because this was the same man from the snack machine, the same man from the police station. I settle down my glass of champagne and glance up at Nara who was busy talking.

Her words weren't audible to me.

I look back down at the card, I remember his daughter. The same one he cried about. Why was I actually considering this? Why was I actually thinking about helping them?