Chapter 4

The old bus rattled and groaned as it navigated the rough, potholed road toward Akhara. I sat by the window, clutching my duffel bag tightly, eyes fixed on the desolate landscape passing by. The other passengers sat in a heavy silence, their faces drawn and tense, as if they too could feel the unsettling aura of the village we were approaching.

The road grew more treacherous the closer we got to Akhara. Dense forests closed in around us, the gnarled branches of ancient trees intertwining overhead, casting long, twisted shadows on the ground below. The bus driver, an old man with a weathered face, seemed unfazed by the road's condition, expertly steering around the worst of the potholes and fallen branches. But I noticed his nervous glances toward the forest, his knuckles white as he gripped the wheel.

Finally, as we crested a hill, Akhara came into view, nestled in a small valley shrouded in mist. The village was a patchwork of crumbling buildings and narrow, winding streets. An eerie silence enveloped the place, broken only by the low growl of the bus's engine. The village roads were little more than dirt paths, riddled with weeds and stones.

The bus came to a slow, shuddering stop near the village square of Akhara. I gathered my belongings and stepped off, my boots crunching on the gravel. The air was thick with an unsettling stillness, the kind that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

As I glanced around the deserted village, my eyes fell upon a figure standing by the side of the road. He was tall and gaunt, with a hunched posture that made him appear even more menacing. His skin was sallow and his eyes, sunken deep into their sockets, glinted with a strange, unsettling light. This must be Alam, the watchman I had been told would meet me.

"Welcome to Akhara," Alam rasped, his voice like the creaking of an old door. He stepped forward, his yellow, jagged teeth bared in what I assumed was meant to be a smile but looked more like a grimace. The sight of his teeth, stained and misshapen, sent a chill down my spine. "I am Alam. I'll take your luggage."

I nodded, trying to suppress the unease that was creeping up my spine. "Thank you," I managed, handing over my duffel bag. Alam took it with a bony hand, his grip surprisingly strong.

"Follow me," he said, turning abruptly and starting down the narrow, winding path that led deeper into the village. The houses we passed were old and dilapidated, their windows dark and lifeless. The oppressive silence pressed in from all sides, broken only by the occasional rustle of leaves in the wind.

As we walked, Alam moved with a strange, loping gait, his steps eerily silent on the uneven cobblestones. I tried to make small talk, asking about the village and its history, but his answers were curt and vague. He seemed more interested in studying me, his eyes darting over me with a predatory curiosity.

We wound our way through the village, the path growing narrower and more overgrown. Finally, we arrived at a large, ominous building—an old hospital, its facade cracked and weathered. The windows were dark, and an air of abandonment clung to the place like a shroud.

"This is where you'll be meeting the doctor," Alam said, pushing open the heavy wooden door. It creaked loudly, echoing through the empty halls. The interior was dimly lit, the air thick with the scent of antiseptic and decay. I could hear the faint drip of water somewhere in the distance, adding to the unsettling atmosphere.

Alam led me through a maze of corridors, each one more decrepit than the last. The flickering lights cast long, eerie shadows on the walls, and I couldn't shake the feeling that we were being watched. Finally, we reached a small waiting area with a few worn chairs and a wooden bench.

"Wait here," Alam instructed, setting my duffel bag down with a thud. "The doctor will see you shortly."

"Thank you," I said, my voice echoing slightly in the quiet room. Alam gave me one last unnerving smile before turning and disappearing down the hallway.

I took a seat on the bench, the old wood creaking under my weight. The room was silent except for the occasional drip of water and the distant hum of old machinery. I glanced around, trying to take in my surroundings. The walls were lined with faded medical posters and dusty cabinets. The atmosphere was thick with a sense of neglect and forgotten memories.

Minutes stretched into what felt like hours. Just as I was beginning to wonder if I had been forgotten, the door at the far end of the room creaked open. A tall, imposing figure stepped through, his presence filling the space with an air of authority and mystery.

"The doctor will see you now," the figure said, his voice smooth but carrying an undercurrent of something darker. I stood up, taking a deep breath to steady myself. The journey to Akhara had been long and strange, and it was clear that the true mysteries of this village were just beginning to unfold.

I followed the figure through the door, my footsteps echoing down the dimly lit hallway. The flickering lights cast long shadows, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something—or someone—was watching my every move.