Chapter 6

After my meeting with Dr. Smith, Alam led me out of the hospital and down a winding path to a small cottage just outside the main building. The cottage was modest but well-kept, surrounded by a small garden that seemed out of place in the otherwise eerie village. A sense of peace settled over me as I approached the door.

"Here is your room," Alam said, his voice grating as always. He pushed the door open and stepped inside, carrying my duffel bag with surprising ease.

The interior of the cottage was simple but comfortable. A single bed, a wooden table with a couple of chairs, and a small bookshelf filled the space. A window overlooked the garden, and the soft light filtering through the curtains added to the tranquility of the room.

"Thank you, Alam," I said, trying to break the silence. "This place is... nice."

Alam didn't respond, simply setting my bag down by the bed and moving to help me unpack. I watched him for a moment, trying to gauge whether he might be open to conversation. "How long have you been working here?" I ventured, hoping to learn something about him.

He glanced at me, his eyes devoid of any readable emotion. "Long enough," he replied curtly, his voice barely above a whisper.

The silence that followed was thick and uncomfortable. Alam continued to unpack my belongings with mechanical efficiency, his movements almost robotic. I realized that pushing for more conversation might not be the best idea.

I nodded, more to myself than to him, and decided to focus on settling in. As I arranged my things on the small bookshelf, Alam finished his task and stood by the door, watching me with that same unsettling gaze.

"Is there anything else you need?" he asked, his tone flat.

"No, that's all. Thank you, Alam," I replied, giving him a small smile. He nodded once and left the room, the door closing with a soft click behind him.

Alone at last, I took a deep breath and looked around the room. The sense of peace I had felt initially was still there, though tempered by the odd interaction with Alam. I walked over to the window and looked out at the garden, the sight of the greenery soothing my nerves.

I sat down at the table and pulled out a notebook, jotting down my thoughts about the day. Meeting Dr. Smith had been a highlight, his warmth and compassion a stark contrast to the village's eerie atmosphere. Despite the unsettling vibe of Akhara and its inhabitants, I felt a renewed sense of purpose.

As I finished writing, I glanced around the room once more. This would be my home for the foreseeable future, a place to rest and gather my strength for the work ahead. I was determined to make the most of my time here, to learn from Dr. Smith and to help the villagers who needed us.

That night, as I lay in bed, the stillness of the room enveloped me. The wind whispered softly through the trees outside, and the distant sounds of the village faded into the background. I closed my eyes, letting the peace of the moment wash over me. For the first time since my arrival, I felt a sense of calm and readiness for whatever challenges lay ahead.