Chapter 8:The Unforgettable Lunch

In the evening, I was in my room when Dina came to call me for lunch. After spending a few days here, I had figured out that they weren't the type of family to sit and eat breakfast or lunch together.

"Hey, lunch is ready," Dina said, leaning against the doorframe."Alright, I'll be right there," I replied, getting up from my bed. It felt odd not having those family meals, but I was starting to get used to it.

As we walked to the dining room, I couldn't help but think about how different life was here. The mansion was grand, the people were complex, and the routine was nothing like what I was used to.The only reason we were all eating together was because Uncle Antonio wanted to. I was nervous eating lunch with all these fancy people.

My dad's family side was already something, but this family belonged to a whole different league.I was sure I'd embarrass myself by grabbing the wrong fork or something. Ugh, I had no idea what to expect. And to make things worse, the smug guy —Xavier Cavedero—was going to be at dinner tonight too. Just great. I had to deal with his face twice in one day.

Oh, wait... I didn't notice something until I said his name. His last name isn't Mariellio. Is he also like me, living here for a job? Maybe he's also a son of some friend of Uncle Antonio, like me. But he has too much confidence to be just a friend's son. Maybe he's just this way... smug and cocky.

Whatever, like it's any of my business... but still, who is he? Okay, mind, please shut up. My thoughts were interrupted by Dina's voice. 

"Hello..." she said, waving her hand in my face. 

"Earth to Dalia..."

I laughed a little at her.
"Yes, yes, I'm here... woahhh!" I was utterly surprised to see the dining table filled with so much lavish food. Italian, Mexican, fast food, Eastern cuisine... you name it, it was there.

Then Rosa came inside.

 "My dear! I wasn't sure what you preferred, so I had everything prepared. I hope you find something to your liking."

I was utterly shocked. Dina pinched my elbow, bringing me back to reality.
"Uh, yes... I mean no... you didn't have to do so much. I can eat everything," I said, smiling gratefully.

"You should thank me, you know," Zarion said as he sauntered into the room. I could literally feel Dina's aura change—from nice to dangerous. I don't really get the beef between them.

"I asked Dina for your preferences, but she didn't have a clue. Some friend she is, huh?" he said, smirking arrogantly. 

"But don't worry, I took care of it. Someone has to know what's going on around here."

Dina shot him a glare. "Oh, please, Zarion. Like you'd actually remember anything useful."

Zarion leaned against the doorframe, crossing his arms.
"At least I'm not the one wandering around clueless, pretending to care."

Dina rolled her eyes. "Better than being a pompous jerk who thinks he's God's gift to the world."

"Jealous much?" Zarion shot back, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Don't worry, Dina. Not everyone can be as perfect as me."

Dina snorted. "Thank God for that. One of you is more than enough."

Zarion walked up to the table with a lousy walk and sat down about to throw another comment when  Rosa cuts in, her voice authoritative and firm, 

"Enough, both of you. We are at the dining table, not in a boxing ring."

Zarion smirks, leaning back in his chair.