Chapter 7 Haru

As we neared Yuki's house, I could see the tension return to her face. She hesitated at the gate, glancing nervously toward the front door. Just as I was about to say something to reassure her, the door swung open, and her mother appeared on the threshold.

"Yuki, you're late," her mother called out, her tone sharp. Then her eyes fell on me. "And who is this?"

Yuki stiffened beside me. "This is Haru, Mom. He's a friend from school."

Her mother's eyes narrowed, scrutinizing me. I stood my ground, meeting her gaze steadily. "Nice to meet you, ma'am," I said, trying to sound polite and respectful.

She didn't return the greeting. Instead, she looked at Yuki. "I want to talk to him. Haru, was it? Please come inside."

Yuki looked at me, her eyes wide with anxiety. I gave her a reassuring nod before following her mother into the house. Inside, the air was thick with tension. The living room was neat and tidy, but it felt cold and unwelcoming.

"Please, sit," her mother said, gesturing to the couch.

I sat down, and Yuki's mother took a seat opposite me. Yuki hovered near the doorway, looking like she wanted to disappear.

"So, Haru," her mother began, her tone brisk. "How do you know Yuki?"

"We're in the same class," I explained. "We've been getting to know each other recently."

"And why were you walking her home?" she asked, her eyes narrowing.

"Because I care about her," I said simply. "I know things have been tough for Yuki at school, and I wanted to make sure she got home safely."

Her mother's expression softened, but only slightly. "Yuki needs to focus on her studies, not on making friends."

"With all due respect, ma'am," I said, choosing my words carefully, "everyone needs friends. Yuki has a lot of talent, and she deserves support and encouragement, especially with everything she's going through."

Her mother sighed, her stern façade cracking just a little. "I know my daughter has had a difficult time. But her future is important. I don't want her distracted."

"I understand," I replied. "But Yuki is strong, and she's capable of balancing both her studies and her personal life. She just needs to believe in herself."

There was a long silence. Then, Yuki's mother looked over at her daughter. "Yuki, come here."

Yuki hesitated but then walked over and stood beside me. Her mother reached out and took her hand. "You know I only want what's best for you," she said quietly.

"I know, Mom," Yuki replied, her voice small.

Her mother looked at me again, a little more warmly this time. "Are you her boyfriend?" she asked abruptly.

The question caught me off guard. I glanced at Yuki, who looked equally surprised, her cheeks turning a bright shade of red.

"No, ma'am," I said quickly. "We're just friends."

Her mother's eyes softened just a little. "Alright, but remember, Yuki needs to focus on her studies."

"I promise, I'll do everything I can to help Yuki succeed in her studies and find her own happiness," I said earnestly.

She nodded slowly. "Alright then. You may stay for a bit longer, but remember what I said."

"Thank you," I said, relieved.