4. New hangout spot?

A few minutes passed, and we arrived at a lake, just outside of town. A small forest surrounded it, the lake was slightly frozen over, sort of slushy-like. The snow and the lake were wonderful scenery, I wasn't much for colder weather but the scene took my breath away.

But then it was ruined by Everest putting his head on my shoulder.

"It's really pretty."

"Get off me or I'll push you into the lake."

"Damn, okay."

He lifted his chin off of my shoulder, he walked to the right and I saw him walking towards a tree.

"What are you doing?" I called out at him.

"I'ma climb this tree." He gave me a stupid smile as he pointed at the tree.

I walked over to him as he struggled to climb the tree, breaking a few branches. After a minute of struggling, he got up about 6 feet off the ground.

"See, now come up here."

"Why? I don't want to."

"The view is really pretty." He pouted, dragging his words to sound convincing.

"I'll try, but I've never claimed a tree before."

I put a foot on a low-hanging but sturdy branch and hopped up. I grabbed another that was higher up and used it for support as I climbed up to where Everest was.

"That was easy, why were you struggling so much?"

He rolled his eyes, "Leave me alone, I haven't done it in a while."

I laughed at his response, thinking about bringing up the fact that I was better at climbing a tree for the first time than the guy who had done it multiple times, but I decided not to. When I stopped laughing I saw the view that he was talking about.

It was breathtaking. The sun just peaked out from the mountains, the sunset causing a pastel rainbow of colors in the sky. A while of silence passed, and both of us memorized the sight until the sky started turning a dark-ish blue.

I slowly climbed down, Everest following. We walked back to the motorcycle.

"That was fun, we should do it again, but...maybe not when it's snowing. I have a wet spot on my butt from the snow in the branch."

I scoffed, "Sharing is not always caring bud."

"I'm not a child." He said putting on my helmet for me.

"Then act like you aren't."

"How rude to me." He put on his helmet and got on the bike, waiting for me. I got on, and after about twenty minutes I was back home.

"Damn...it got late fast." I said taking off my helmet and giving it to him, "Be careful on your way home."

He was oddly silent as I handed it to him. "Aww, you're worried about me." He teased.

"I hope you crash."

He laughed at my sudden response, "Good night Vince, see you later."

"Bye." I saw him drive off before walking to the front door.

When I opened it I knew I walked in on something I wasn't supposed to. My father, with flushed cheeks, and an empty can of beer in his hand, as well as my mother with knitted eyebrows.

"What the fuck are you doing out, it's almost 11?" My father slurred.

"He was out with a friend, just let him be." There was a hint of disdain in her voice, I wasn't sure if it was towards me or my father, mostly likely both.

To avoid my drunken father and my mother I walked past them and went to my room. Once again I walked in on something I shouldn't have, my sister and her "best friend" jumped away from each other, my sister's pink sparkly lip gloss all over her lips.

I flopped on my bed, ignoring the arguing downstairs and the embarrassment upstairs. Thinking only about the sunset that I and Everest saw today. "I wonder if Everest is home yet" was the thought I remembered thinking before falling asleep.

When I woke up, I was excited to go to school, which was a first. But, sadly, it was another snow day. I lay in my bed, scrolling on TikTok when I got a message from Everest.

I got a new shirt! Look

He sent me a photo of him in front of a mirror with a cropped "Pierce the Veil" shirt. The shirt was a slightly worn black with an old house with a hole in the roof. I looked at his surroundings. A black bed with some clothes on it. A black rug underneath, paired with a dark wooden floor. He had light grey walls with white baseboards. I saw a closet, there was a lot of black, I saw some posters, Korn, Pierce the Veil, Maybe the Cramps? The one above his bed was hard to see but it looked like the cramps. His room is kinda cool

I looked at my Korn poster and his, we had the same one. I looked at the photo more before realizing..."Shit, I'm gonna be late to work!" I rushed up and got dressed before running downstairs. My dad said something but I didn't hear him. I quickly turned on my car, wiping off the snow from my windshield and driving to the library.

My co-worker was mad at me since she had to work overtime so I promised I would cover her shift tomorrow. When I was done getting scolded I saw Everest, he was in a black puffy sweater, and he was wearing the same shirt from the photo.

"Why are you wearing a crop top in this weather?"

"Being cold is worth being hot."

"I assume you're here to check in your borrowed books?"

"You read me like a book."

A silence passed, "Did you do that on purpose?"

"Yes, please laugh."

I did a very obvious fake laugh and he smiled at me before grabbing the five books he borrowed and setting them on my desk. He stared at me while I checked the books out of his name.

"Soo....oh! Sean wanted to know who was the girl you're always talking to."

"Alex isn't a girl, they're non-binary. They're my best friend."

"Oh shit I'm sorry."

"Well, I'm not Alex, if you want to say sorry tell it to them."

He nodded. "Well, I'll see you around Blondie."

"I told you to stop calling me that."

"But it suits you."

He walked out of the library, leaving me seething. He knew I hated the name but he continued. God, he's annoying!

I didn't really know what to name this chapter, so I just kinda put the first that came to mind.