Chapter 39: Warriors

Y/n: Hey there. Looks like you guys could use some help.

Conny: Boy are we glad to see you. Our night has been absolute hell.

Y/n: I believe it.

The sound of ODM hooks heralded the arrival of the scout regiment as several more Titans fell. 

Y/n: Well. better go help 'em out. See you guys in a bit, alright?

(Y/n pov)

I flew away from the group and took down another Titan. Eren and Armin had each taken down a few as well. Armin was doing surprisingly well for someone with low physical attributes and Eren had improved drastically in the short span of time we'd had to train since Stohess. 

(short timeskip)

By the time all the Titans were killed, it was a few hours shy of noon. We'd been briefed on the situation upon gathering the remains of the outpost group. According to them a giant 17-meter Titan with the appearance of a beast had shown up. They also said that they'd seen Titans active at night which marked the first recorded occurrence in history. The most shocking revelation however was Ymir's identity. Apparently, she had similar abilities to me in that she could transform into a Titan. I was sitting on a foundation's remains watching the battle's aftermath unfold. Krista and Hange were kneeling in front of Ymir's wounded and battered body while the others watched on in shock. My attention was momentarily diverted when I heard the sound of footsteps behind me. I didn't have to look to know that it was Mikasa. 

Mikasa: Hey.

Y/n: Whats up?

Mikasa: Can I sit?

Y/n: Sure.

She sat down next to me. For a while, there was silence between us until she broke it.

Mikasa: Pretty crazy isn't it?

Y/n: Yeah. 

Mikasa: Ever since your power was revealed, it feels like a lot of crazy things have been happening. First Annie, now Ymir.

Y/n: You're right on that, things have changed. The danger posed by the Titans has increased tenfold. A couple of years ago, intelligent Titans weren't even a thing. Now we've seen several of them in the span of a few months. That goes to show just how important finding my father's cellar is. Whatever he has down there, it was important enough for him to forbid us from entering. 

Mikasa: Whatever it is, we'll figure it out together, okay?

She gently touched my hand. In response, I turned to her and smiled.

Eren: HEY, LOVEBIRDS! WE'RE HEADING OUT!!!

Mikasa: We should probably go.

Y/n: Yeah.

We hopped down from our spot and joined the group again.

Hange: Here's the plan. We're going to scale Wall Rose and return to Trost where Ymir will be hospitalized while she heals. After that, all of you recruits are going to get some well-deserved rest after the ordeal you've just endured. Got it?

Recruits: Got it!

Hange: Alright then. Let's get going.

(short timeskip)

By the time we got to the wall, rain had started to fall. Oddly enough, I found it comforting. The thin layer of fog that covered the ground as we rode our horses obscured the dirt beneath us. The distant sound of thunder only added to the atmosphere. Once we arrived at the wall's base, the lifts were opened and we loaded our horses into them.